Chapter Twelve: Stawberries or Monsters? Take your Pick

Sorry this chapter took a little bit to finish again! I know you guys like reading my book, so I'm sorry for the delay. I've been really busy because my family and I went on vacation, and also we're moving to another state.

Thank you for all the support and comments! Hope you enjoy!

The days passed, and Octavian wondered if everything would actually be fine. Sure, the great Percy Jackson, the brave leader Jason Grace, the smart and stunning Annabeth Chase and the Praetor, and badass Reyna were missing, but things were starting to look up. No one else had disappeared. Even Piper and Leo hadn't run off with the search groups (though they weren't too happy about staying at camp).

Marium and Octavian were in the strawberry fields, just chilling as friends that afternoon. Marium said she loved eating the strawberries when the Demeter kids weren't looking.

She started stuffing strawberries into her mouth, while Octavian just sat beside her. She slowly turned her head to him, her dark brown eyes squinted. "Aren't you going to have some?" she asked. "They're not poisonous."

Octavian plucked some strawberries off the bushes and took a bite out of one. His taste buds seemed to dance as he ate the sweet fruit. He closed his eyes and thought about the lovely summer day, forgetting his troubles and worries.

"Delicious, aren't they?" Marium said, and Octavian opened his eyes. He nodded, unable to speak because he was still chewing. Marium didn't seem to care about looking clean or tidy. Strawberry juice dripped from her mouth, making it look like she was a vampire who had just sucked some blood. When she smiled, Octavian could see her red stained teeth. But he didn't care. Hanging out with Marium was great. She didn't judge him and stood up for him in front of other campers.

Suddenly, Octavian heard it. The hissing from his dreams.

It made his head throb, and he grunted, closing his eyes. The hissing was wild, like snakes ready to pounce on their prey.

"What?" Marium asked, putting her hand on Octavian's shoulder. "Were the strawberries actually poisonous?"

"No...I'm...I'm fine," Octavian muttered, slowly opening his eyes. Marium didn't look exactly concerned for Octavian, just really curious to see what had happened to him.

Marium quickly withdrew her hand and laid down in the grass. "Don't you ever wonder what it would be like to create a world where you could decide the rules? A world where you are able to create or control anything," Marium wondered absentmindedly.

"Yes," Octavian replied almost immediately. He was surprised by his answer. It was like he had thought about it a lot without him knowing. He assumed he had thought about it in his past life; before he had died.

Marium turned her head to Octavian, grinning wildly, her teeth still stained with red. "Me too. What would you do if you could do that?"

"I...I..."

"I would make sure that heroes never got too big headed and think that they're better than everyone else," Marium cut in, staring at the clouds. "Because saving the world doesn't make you a good person. It's realizing you're a terrible person and becoming better because of it."

"Wow, that doesn't apply to anyone you hate," Octavian muttered, rolling his eyes.

Marium frowned and sat up. "I bet you wish they treated you a bit better. They get recognized as the best heroes ever because they're able to beat some giants. Well guess what? I bet any of us could do that too!"

"I guess, but still. According to Reyna, they have a reason to hate me."

"So? That doesn't mean they get to walk all over you and put you down like you're some lower class."