Everything Will Be Alright

*Alternate ending*

When given the choice between saving Gellert Grindelwald, the man Valerie, or in actuality, Iva Dumbledore, once loved and choosing the life she had now, she didn't think twice.  Madam Picquery gave Iva an out. In return for her absolute cooperation with MACUSA and the Ministry against Grindelwald, she could return to her current life, with full immunity. It gave her the opportunity to continue living her life as Valerie Forrest, and no one would know any different. Even her appearance would remain unchanged. Those were the conditions. This life unfortunately didn't include Percival Graves. There still wasn't the slightest clue of his actual whereabouts and, of course, Grindelwald wasn't talking. 

Until one day, he was found.

With a some extreme digging on Graves' once colleagues part, they found him. Grindelwald had him locked away under a spell of which no one had seen before. Not even Valerie. It was dark magic beyond her comprehension. He was discovered in a state which Muggles would refer to as a coma. 

It resulted in Valerie going directly to the source, Grindelwald. He had been transferred back to England where he would stand trial for his crimes, but just like in the Muggle world, it took time. Without the knowledge or consent of anyone in the Ministry, she slipped into his holding cell. In there, she pleaded for Graves' life. 

"Why does it matter to you?" He spoke coldly. The scorn of her betrayal was still so fresh in his mind. She had some nerve coming here, but then, he had some nerve doing all he did to her.

"This isn't about me."

"Then what?"

"He's an innocent man." She begged.

Grindelwald full out laughed. "He is not me, my little flower." He smirked. "You think waking him from my spell will result in the two of you living happily ever after? He won't even know who you are. He will take one look at you and see nothing but a stranger. What you think you had with him is nothing but a fantasy. I am Percival Graves."

"I'm no fool. Don't you think I know this already. That's not what this is about." She continued to plead. "This is about me finally having the chance to do something right in my life. If you love me as you always have said you do, you will do this for me. Give me the opportunity to save a life, rather than take one."

Out of his love for Valerie, Grindelwald gave her the spell to undo his own. When Graves awoke, everyone thought it was just some miracle. That the magic had just worn off, but in reality, it was her. Graves recovered quickly and was granted a return back to work continuing as the department head. It was as if nothing had happened, nothing had changed. Yet unknown to everyone, Graves just wasn't the same.

On Graves' first day back, everyone was patient with him. It was still a bit overwhelming for him, and it took a few hours to get the hang of simple tasks again. His mind just wasn't in the job. He was distracted, and he knew why. Valerie Forrest. 

Graves managed to sneak away and found himself wandering the second floor. His feet carried him all the way to the Department of the Misuse of No-Maj Objects. The door was shut and it seemed like the lights were off. He stood there wondering how in the hell he even got there. It was as if his mind blanked and he arrived there out of habit.

"She's already gone home for the day." A voice spoke from a little way down the hall. He turned around and found a young woman with strawberry blonde hair. She was walking towards him. "Did you need something?" She questioned, stopping beside him.

"No." He mumbled to himself, zoning Queenie out. "Uhh...I've got to go." He shook his head and began back down the hall. Queenie giggled to herself knowing what was wrong with Graves and carried on. 

Next, Graves found himself standing at Valerie Forrest's doorstep. A good few minutes went by before he raised his fist to knock on the door. It was strange to think he was about to be face to face with the woman he supposedly loved. What had happened to Graves was kept a secret from the wizarding world. Only those who were in the tunnels that dreaded night knew the truth. 

No words were passed between the two once the door was opened. Valerie stood stunned. It was the last thing she had expected. "Hi....may I help you?" She asked, acting as if she didn't know him. 

"I remember everything."

Valerie's brows knitted together. She was beyond confused. "What?"

"I don't know what type of magic it was he used, but...it was as if I was living my life and I had no control." He explained. "Every emotion...word..even touch, I felt it all." He went into detail about what exactly he experienced. Valerie felt embarrassed. It wasn't her fault. She had no knowledge of what was occurring, but now with the real Percival Graves standing before her, she felt nothing but shame. She should have known. She shouldn't have been so blinded by her own feelings and personal gain to realize Graves was actually Grindelwald the entire time. This was all her doing. 

The two sat on Valerie's couch together. It was awkward. She felt extremely uncomfortable and unsure of what to say. "I don't blame you...if that's what you are thinking." Graves said, easing her nerves just a bit. "None of this was your fault."

Valerie looked at Graves with tears forming in her eyes. "Of course it's my fault." The guilt was eating her up inside. "If it weren't for me, all of this wouldn't have happened to you. Grindelwald used your identity to get to me. You could have been killed."

"But I wasn't. It was Grindelwald's obsession for you that, in a way, saved me. He had to keep me alive to keep you around. And I know once you found out, you only went along with everything because you thought you were saving what was left of me. I could feel it." He reminded her, trying to get her to see the up side. No harm was done actually done to him. He was alive. That's all that mattered. "At least we can say one good thing came out of this."

"What is that?"

"I had the opportunity to meet you." Valerie couldn't contain her emotions as a smile broke out on her face. "Would you by chance like to have dinner with me tonight?"

"I would love that." She smiled. It didn't take long for a relationship to blossom between Valerie and Graves. The real Percival Graves. It was easy for him to fall in love with Valerie, even with knowing of her past. None of it mattered. 

 Valerie gave up her obsession with the Deathly Hallows entirely. She gifted the Elder wand to her brother, and she confessed what had happened that day with their little sister. Albus had forgiven her. It would have been hypocritical not to. He himself had gotten lost in dark magic due to Grindelwald. From then on, they were a family once again.

Graves took an early retirement citing the job just got to be too much for him mentally. In return, Valerie stepped down as department head of the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts. No one was eager or willing to take her position. It went back to being the room people just tossed No-Maj junk in. Eventually, they left New York City for London. There they truly lived happily ever after. Together.  

The End! Again! 

I decided to just close this story up. There will be no sequel, BUT I can write a completely different Percial Graves story. If anyone would be interested in that, let me know your thoughts. (:

Thank you to everyone who read/voted/commented! You kept this story alive and motivated me to keep writing. You're all amazing!