Show and Tell

I spent an entire painstaking hour sitting at my bedroom door. It felt like ages had passed since I had gotten home. What were they talking about? I hope it isn't the bank trying to buy the house from us, they've been on our backs forever trying to own our property. Dad keeps saying no. We could never leave this place, I grew up in this house. Or what if its my teachers? My grades have been slipping lately.

Dad called me downstairs. I met him at the closed, ominous living room doors. All he did was stare at me, with his deep, saddened, hazel eyes. "What is it, Dad?" I asked him, "why are you upset? Did something happen to J.L.? I told him to be careful with the engine." I kept speaking, prolonging the tears I could see building in his eyes. He stopped my words short when he opens the doors and softly tells me to enter.

Hoping the guests weren't my doctors, wanting to speak to my dad and I about my recent OB/GYN visits, I fragilely tiptoe into the room. As my gaze was slowly walked upward, my heart began to pound violently in my chest. Is this it? Has my biggest secret been compromised? My heart and eyes stop dead, as I came face to face an elderly couple sitting on the far side of the room. The exact same couple I had seen at the hospital a few weeks ago.

The skin color quickly leaked from their faces once they had noticed me. Why are they here?! "Feather," my dad manages to choke out, "I...I want you to meet your...Gr-grandparents..." He pauses, "from your...mother's side."

***

My boyfriend Ash and I have been hanging out a lot lately. We like to lounge at the park with our crew. We find that back corner that's covered by thick bushes and set up a picnic and some games. Adults always assume that teenagers always smoke and drink booze, it isn't always true. We just like time to chill and be ourselves, no trouble and no insanity.

About a month ago, one of the town's well known found us in our space chatting. She, being Alexis Costa, invited us to her spring break weekend party. Her parents were away for an entire two weeks and she wanted to have some fun. Ash and I hate the student council, high honors, kiss every dude trick, she's tapped. Her and her groupies. We decided to go anyway.