Chapter Two

The Arseni family was known for two things, discounting of course they'd always had close ties to the throne.

One was their temper, which resembled a hurricane on a good day.

The second was their looks. By any definition, the Arseni men were beautiful. Dark, smoldering, lush mouths that were usually scowling. But every now and then a smile slipped out, and that was when they truly got dangerous.

With Lesto, Tara had always been content to simply enjoy the view. Tara doubted there was a person in existence who could tame the High Commander of Harken.

He was most definitely not content to look when it came to Rene. Mercy. Tara had seen him at a distance numerous times. Up close, he was a tempered, but no less fierce, equivalent of his brother. Quicker to smile, possessed of a rough sort of charm, and mercy of the Pantheon, Tara had not been prepared to see him naked.

Just recalling that illicit look or six he'd taken was enough to get him wet all over again.

Tara didn't want to simply look at Rene. He wanted to touch, wanted to taste, wanted to see what Rene looked like fucked out and wrung out in his bed.

Unfortunately, Rene had appeared to regard him with all the interest one regarded a stack of paperwork. And he'd been positively livid that Lesto had saddled him with Tara. Rene considered him a chore, a duty to be endured rather than proudly carried out.

But it wasn't like he'd expected anything else. Impressive though his family was-and his private holdings were nothing to sneer at either-a man who was practically an imperial prince could do far better than the eccentric, laughed-at Marquis Warrant.

A man could dream, though, and spin fanciful, hot and dirty thoughts in the privacy of his own bed.

He could also work hard to make a good impression, and perhaps improve his standing in the court. Not that Tara particularly cared about his standing, but it would be one less thing for his family to harangue him about and perhaps help improve the negotiations with Selemea. Not that Tara was in a hurry to marry Prince [Name], but he could hardly complain about a chance to become royalty.

But oh how much he'd rather be negotiating with a certain dragon instead.

Ah, well. Dreams were for bed, and right now he had a long journey to his private estate to make. Tara checked his appearance in the mirror, tidied away a few loose strands of hair, and picked up the dark violet wrap he'd set aside and wound it to drape over his shoulders.

"We're ready, my lord, and Nomior has reported the cart is packed and your carriage ready."

Tara smiled. "Thank you, Berni. Have my parents replied?"

"Still locked in a meeting, my lord."

"Good, then we should be well away before they read the note. I do like when I can sneak away neat and quick."

The barest smile flitted across Berni's mouth as she playfully bowed her head. "Anything else you require before departure, my lord?"

"A stiff drink, maybe? I am not certain what to make of the fact we'll be traveling in the company of the Three-headed Dragons."

Berni did laugh then. "But you do like new and interesting things, my lord, and if you don't mind me saying so, His Lordship is very interesting."

Tara laughed with her. "A good point. Onward we go, then." He picked up his satchel full of things to keep him occupied on the journey, though he was secretly hoping that he'd be fully occupied with Rene, even if he didn't dare hope for more than talking.