Chapter 5: Where to Start

Surface mornings are amazing... Zelda thought as she stood alone atop the hands of the Statue of the Goddess, looking over the glorious landscape from her high vantage point. It was certainly true; for as far as she could see, the world was draped in both the shadows of a dying night and the light of a newborn dawn. Faron Woods stretched out in almost every direction in front of her, the lush leaves of its foliage dancing in the lofty breeze. Right below her was the ancient Sealed Temple, its stone roof caved opened in many places and its withered surface overgrown with vines. Zelda smiled slightly as she looked down at the temple, knowing that Link was in there, sleeping peacefully as he always did at this early hour. By the time the two of them had gotten back to the temple the previous day upon their return from Termina, it was almost sunset and both of them were weary from traveling. Taking this as an excuse to turn in early, they fell asleep almost as soon as they walked inside.

Zelda's smile faded however when she thought back to what Terminus had said before they left: "Enjoy what you have while you still have it. You never know when it might be gone." As much as she had tried, she just couldn't get those words out of her head and every time she thought about them, a tight knot formed in her stomach. The source of her nervousness didn't come from her fear of what Link might think about how she felt; rather, it came from the fact that she wasn't really sure how she felt herself. There was no question that she cared more about him than probably anyone else and that by this point, they weren't really just friends any more. After all, they were basically living together, alone, miles below any other human that could interrupt them. But, they had never done anything; they hadn't even so much as fully kissed yet. They closest they had ever gotten was a simple tight hug or a light, flirtatious kiss on the cheek. It wasn't like they were too young to avoid those sort of things any more. After all, they were both seventeen, quickly going on eighteen. In Skyloft, they were now easily considered to be young adults rather than older kids. So... what was holding either of them back?

The answer to that, or at least in Zelda's opinion, was because she didn't want them to loose the close companionship that they had always had since they were kids. What if being in a serious relationship would change what they always had? What if it changed both of them? She wanted to be with him, she really did. She wanted more than just simple hand holding and hugging. She wanted to be able to call him her boyfriend and for him to be able to call her his girlfriend. She wanted him to hold her in his strong arms and kiss her passionately. But were her expectations of a relationship actually true? Growing up in Skyloft, Zelda had seen many young couples get together, only for the two of them to split up not long after and never speak to each other again. She knew that she couldn't risk the chance of never talking to Link again. She didn't know what she would do without him. The thought of not having him around simply because of something as silly as a petty argument would be almost as bad as not having him around because of something happening to him. But, then again, the two of them had been best friends pretty much forever. They rarely ever fought, and when they did, they normally made up immediately. But, would being in a relationship increase their chances of fighting due to the fact that their emotions would be running much higher?

Zelda shook her head in worry, the light of the shimmering Triforce nearby casting a soft glow on her slender form. How could they possibly make this work? And, more importantly, did Link want this as much as she did? The last thing Zelda wanted to do was to throw her heart out to him only for him to throw it back. What she really wanted was for him to tell her first. After all, it was tradition for the guy to tell the girl that he wanted to go out with her. Maybe she just had to wait for him to ask her. But, knowing Link, that could take a long time. Perhaps, if he felt the same way, then he was just as nervous about it as she was. Maybe he just needed a little push. And, Zelda theorized, the best way to give him that push was to give him the idea that she was all for it too. She wasn't just going to outright tell him that she wanted to be with him. Rather, she intended to show him every chance she got from this moment on.