Chapter 25: Breaking the Unbreakable

The rain and grey clouds had dissipated long before sunrise, giving way to a bright and glorious morning. The warm light of day cascaded over the wide green fields, carrying with it a moist feeling of freshness lingering from the previous day's storm. This bright sensation brought even more comfort to Zelda, who awakened with a sense of looming sadness, though it was overpowered by a burst of warm happiness, both of which she associated with her all too brief conversation with Link last night. In the first few moments of the morning, she pined for her hero more than anything else, before she realized that hopefully today they would be reunited once more. However, as Zelda was mulling over this, she caught onto the sound of nearby voices, specifically those of Sheik and Fi, and suddenly became curious. Since her back was turned towards the two of them as she lied on the ground, neither of them knew she was awake yet, but all the same they conversed with one another in hushed tones, talking about something that they apparently did not want the girl to hear, which gave her all the more reason to eavesdrop.

"You are aware that he does not return the affections you have for him, correct?" the sword spirit asked, her tone towards the Sheikah leader surprisingly straightforward rather than condescending as it usually was.

Sheik hesitated in answering, but when her response came it was terse and defensive. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I believe you know very well what I am talking about," Fi said knowingly. "There are not many things that can be kept hidden from me. Even my master is unable to conceal such matters, though you seem to protect the feelings of your heart better than he does."

"Well that's because he's an open book," the Sheikah leader scoffed. "And besides, I don't need to talk about this with anyone, especially not you."

Fi was silent for a moment, before continuing in a level tone. "I realize that my actions and attitude towards you may not have been exactly… cordial," she said, though there was no sign regret for her previous behavior in her voice at all. "And while it is not my own personal preference to collaborate with you, in light of the situation I find that I must, and the most efficient way to do that is to quell our disagreements at the source. After all, it is what my master wanted from both of us from the start, and it is clear to see that it is what her grace wants from us in order to aid them both now."

"So what do my so-called 'affections' have to do with any of that?" Sheik asked, sounding bored.

"It lies within the simple fact that my sole purpose is to serve my master without question," the sword spirit began. "It was his will that we learn to work with one another under the current situation, but as I am now reevaluating my earlier behavior, I realize that I had blatantly disrespected him and disregarded his command. You may not realize this, but I was created by the goddess to be loyal to her chosen hero until the end, and I am in every sense of the word, which means that whatever he desires, I take it as my own personal responsibility to see that I can either fulfill or protect that desire, whatever it may be."

"So what's your point?" the Sheikah leader asked, obviously getting frustrated at how the sword spirit seemed to be dodging the question. Zelda herself was admittedly confused about what she was talking about, but she continued to listen in on the conversation nonetheless, wondering where it was going.

"The point is that my master holds a mutual desire for the goddess," Fi said point-blank. "They are, as you humans call it, in love, one of the few emotions that have not been imbued to me personally, but I understand the concept nonetheless. And, from what I have observed, despite the standards of your people, it is one that you are familiar with as well, am I right?"