Deer Hunting

Faye was always an imaginative girl, always curious. She was never quite satisfied with what knowledge she had. Curiosity may as well have been her middle name. Faye was always in her own dreamland, where everything was fine. The deer didn't mind when she killed them. They knew she and her papa needed food. Sometimes she thought they screamed, but papa told her she was dreaming. Today she was on the hunt again, out for her daily dose of deer. If it made Papa happy, it made her happy! After all, she was helping him. Why shouldn't she be happy? Though, the thing she was dragging along was heavy. Regardless, she rushed ahead, excited for her next meal.

    Trekking through the woods, Faye came to a little cabin in the woods. It was quite dainty, with frost coating the windows. Faye always liked frost, it was different every time she saw it. Faye also saw the third story window was open. Why would anybody leave it open? It was okay though, Faye was going to climb through it anyway. Her curiosity was piqued, after all. Climbing through, there was a deer on the bed, enjoying the weather. Its eyes were closed, it looked so peaceful with its eyes closed! It jolted when Faye dropped the heavy thing on the floor though. It looked so startled! "Don't worry, Mr. Deer! It'll only hurt for a minute or two, I promise!" With that, Faye picked up the heavy thing again, approaching the deer. It had fled to the corner, cowering.

   "Thanks for feeding Papa and I, Mr. Deer! We really appreciate it!" Faye swung the heavy thing, and that sticky red stuff splattered everywhere. She would ask Papa to help her clean when he caught up! He didn't seem to mind, as long as the job was done by the time he caught up. Faye couldn't wait to be praised! Papa always told her she did a good job, especially when she made things easy to carry. Though, she hadn't done that yet, had she? Faye swung the heavy thing some more, making the deer easier to carry. It made more red stuff, but it shouldn't be a problem!

   Finishing her tasking job, Faye sat and waited for her papa, humming a little lullaby. "Mr. Deer, you have really pretty blue eyes! I'm glad I didn't have to hurt them like I did the last deer. Boy, he was stubborn! He understood after a while though." The door in front of Faye opened, revealing her papa. "Papa! Did I do good? Did I?"

   "Of course you did, my little sunshine." Her papa smiled. "You made quite the mess this time, didn't you?"

2 days later...

   Faye and her papa were sitting at the local diner. It was late, so it wasn't too busy. Her papa was excited for the news, he said he needed to make sure they weren't after them. "Why would they be after us, papa? We made sure not to leave the red stuff."

   Faye's papa smiled at her. "One can never be too careful, darling." The news reporter changed topics.

   "Earlier today, James Porter was officially reported missing. Officials say there is no trace of the young man, and this is the latest of several disappearances..."

   "Say Papa, can we find another deer like him?"

   "Of course, darling."

   Her papa smiled.