grandeur

After Kai has run his third red light, and I scold him for it, we eventually arrive at the venue. It's a building of gothic grandeur, with high, charcoal coloured columns framing the entrance. I can hear classical music playing, and women and men in extravagantly formal attire hang around the foyer and outside the doors. The high, mahogany doors are wide open and two largely built men in impeccably tailored suits stand at the door.

Kai steps out of the car and shuts his door before coming along to my side. He opens the door and gestures for me to step out. As I take the arm he's offered me, he mutters into my ear. "Listen closely," he says as we walk up the stairs towards the door. "Don't go far from me, don't try and go home with anyone. And that means anyone. Not even if it's your type — a handsome psychopath. Don't tell anyone your name unless they ask, and be as tolerable as you can. No petty behaviour."

"Any other rules, Kai?" I ask impatiently.

He ignores me. Instead he turns to one of the bouncers outside the ball and says, "Malachai Parker. Plus one."

The bouncer checks his list before giving Kai a nod to go through. Kai half-smiles before stepping in. The ball is of a grand calibre, with high ceilings, a fancy interior complete with chandeliers and columns. Oh, God, I think to myself. I don't belong here at all.

A waiter at the door offers Kai and I champagne. I take a glass, murmuring a quick thank you.

"Shall we sit?" Kai asks.

"Uh, yeah, sure," I stammer, finding it difficult to take in the scale of the event. "Whatever you want."

He takes a seat on a deep black velvet couch and gestures for me to sit down too. "What do you think?" he asks.

I raise my eyebrows. "Huh?"

"The ball," he says. "What do you think of the ball?"

I shrug, trying to downplay my excitement. "It's nice."

His lips raise into a small smile. "Arden, can I ask you something?"

He's being awfully serious tonight. I shift in my seat. "Of course."

He bites his lip, eyebrows furrowed. "Why do you want to find Theo so badly?"

"Because I love him," I say matter of factly. "And I know for a fact if he was in my position right now, he would be trying to resurrect me, too."

He plays with his beard cluelessly. "Do you really think that?" he asks, eyebrows raised. It's strange. He doesn't say it in a sarcastic or teasing way. He says it as if he's genuinely asking.

"Yes," I say. "That's the end of it, Kai. We love each other."

"Whatever you say," he says, seemingly clicking back into his careless, wickedly joking personality. "May I have this dance, Mrs Raeken?" he asks in an overly proper manner. He holds out his hand.

I grin and take his hand. "One dance, Kai."

"I'll take it," he says. He pulls me up and I almost trip over my dress as he pulls me into the centre of the dance floor. He places a hand gingerly on my back and I place one on his shoulder. There are couples all around, and I feel a pang of sadness. Will I get Theo back?

"You okay?" Kai asks, eyebrows furrowed. "You know, I'm sort of worried you're going to snap and kill someone in all your widow-ly woe."

"What did you mean when you asked if I really thought Theo would be doing the same?" I ask, biting my lip.

He chuckles, and I'm unsure whether I said something funny or if he's just being cruel. "You're delirious," he says. The latter, then.

"You, Kai Parker, are a bitch." I drop my hand and start a beeline away from him.