foray

"What did you do to her?" Isaac says, eyeing Kai.

"I didn't," Kai refuses, putting up two hands. "Apparently our favourite big bro Lucien Caraway has a high price on Arden's pretty little head."

"Guys, please," I sigh. "I just want to sleep."

"Tell us what happened, darling," Sienna insists. "I, for one, am quite interested in your foray into hell."

Kai cuts in. "Christie agreed to help her."

"Who's Christie?" Isaac demands.

"The witch," Kai says dismissively.

"What exactly did she say, though?" Isaac says, folding his arms over his chest.

"She said she wants to see Arden," Kai announces. "We're meeting her tomorrow. First thing in the morning."

"But is it safe at all? Or are you just giving her the benefit of the doubt?" Isaac protests.

I sigh, lowering myself onto the sofa's arm rest. This is going to be a long night. "Isaac, you said you wanted to help me. This is what I want."

"Isaac," Sienna says. "Loosen up a bit, love. It's not that serious."

"Yes, it is," Isaac says. "You guys don't know how much we've had to go through in Beacon Hills. You have no idea how bad it can get. How much damage a single person can do."

Kai grows eerily calm, his eyebrows knitted together and a sly smile on his face. "Ah, the altruistic do-gooder. Surprise, Isaac. We're the bad guys here. And what do bad guys do? They make deals with only the people who benefit them. Look around you, Isaac. You're helping out a sociopath, a beautiful bloodthirsty vampire and a siren who killed America's biggest pack in one go!"

Sienna is a vampire, I think to myself as I shift uncomfortably. I stand up from my seat and plant my feet strongly on the ground. "You really think we're going to get what we want when we can barely even work together as a group?" I demand. "Anyone who doesn't want to be here, can leave. Right now. I don't care if I have to do this alone."

Isaac stands up. "Arden, you don't want to do this. It's one thing trying to find someone on this earth. It's another one trying to delve into the afterlife. This could upset the balance of everything. You can't go after him, Arden. This could end your life."

I clench my jaw. "My life ended the moment he was taken away from me. Anyone who isn't with me is against me. Leave if you want to."

"Arden, you're a danger to yourself," Isaac protests.

"It's my life," I tell him. My voice is raised. "I get to decide what I do with it."

"You know Scott and the others were prepared for this, right? They knew you would try and resurrect Theo." Isaac says. "And if I can't stop you, then they will. Stay safe, Arden. I'm not the enemy. I'm trying to protect you."

And with that, he leaves.

Kai laughs, a low and cold chuckle. "I knew he wasn't cut out for this," he says. He takes a swig of bourbon. "It's okay, Arden. We're better off without him." He pats me on the shoulder.

I shrug him off. "Don't touch me," I mutter. "I'm going to sleep."

The next morning, I wake up to the blaring of 90s hip hop. And, of course, Kai singing along at the top of his lungs, as well as dancing around the kitchen. I groan and roll off the couch. "Son of a mother —"

"Arden!" Kai calls from inside. "Good morning my lovely little psycho!"

I groan before dragging myself toward the kitchen. "What is wrong with you?"