Chapter 20

"She's pregnant!" Dinah said.

"WHAT?!" Wally asked.

"How? How could this be? I miscarried," Artemis said and leaned back onto the pillows as what she thought was a contraction shook her body.

"Well, apparently you didn't," Dinah said and Artemis screamed. Artemis felt lightheaded and tried to remember what it felt like to be a little girl again.

"Artemis, Artemis, Dinah said you're seven centimeters dilated. You're going to have to push soon," Wally said.

"I can't Wally. This wasn't how it was supposed to go. I was supposed to go to the hospital. I was supposed to get a warning when I was going into labor. I-I can't push.... This wasn't how I wanted to give birth," Artemis said through tears.

"I know, but you have to bring these babies into the world. You just have to. If not, they could die and, and I could lose you too. That can't happen. I don't want to spend my life without you," Wally said and brushed Artemis's hair back.

Down in the living room....

The team heard Artemis scream again.

"Dick, what's going on up there?" Barbara asked.

"I-I don't know. I hope she's okay," Dick said hugging his fiancé.

"What if we lose her?" M'gann asked holding Rose close.

"Guys, pray. Pray," Connor said and held his wife.

The team nodded.

Back in Artemis's and Wally's Bedroom.....

Artemis felt like crying as another contraction tore through her body. Her back was killing her, not to mention her ribs, her abdomen, and her legs.

"Artemis, you're almost there. Nine centimeters," Dinah said and then pulled Wally aside. "She's getting dilated faster than I thought. I wonder if everything's okay?"

Wally turned around and looked at his laboring wife, who was now crying. "Will she be okay?" Wally asked turning back towards Dinah.

"Hopefully, yes. I've never seen someone dilate as fast as her....."

Artemis felt like she was dying. 'Why did God have to make this so painful,' Artemis thought.

Seven hours later....

"Alright Artemis, on the next contraction I want you to push!" Dinah said. 'This is it, I'm finally have a baby,' Artemis thought.

Artemis pushed while Wally counted to ten. Then she fell back. This was hard work.

"Wally, you did this to me!" Artemis yelled and grabbed Wally's collar of his shirt as she screamed.

"If I remember correctly dear, it takes two to tango," Wally said calmly. Artemis almost punched him but then relaxed.

"It's a girl!" Dinah said and cleaned off the baby as best as she could. Artemis and Wally smiled fondly at their baby daughter as she screamed her head off. Suddenly Artemis screamed again. Dinah rushed back to her and said, "Push!"

Artemis pushed with all her might. Then there was another cry. This one belonged to their son.

"It's a boy!" Dinah said. Artemis fell back onto the pillows exhausted but smiling. She was finally a mother. Dinah laid both babies on Artemis's chest and smiled. "I'll let you guys get acquainted.  I'm gonna go tell the others what's going on."

"Okay. Thank you," Wally said and sat down in a chair next to the bed.

"Wally, we are such bad parents," Artemis said looking at the crying babies.

"Why do you say that?"

"We don't have any names picked out."

"Well, I think our daughter looks like a Alexis, don't you?"

"Wally.... Actually she does....."

"I know right. She looks like a tough girl. What about a middle name? Faith?"

"No. I always like Kristina."

"Hmmm, Alexis Kristina. Not bad. Now for our son."

"Aaron. Definitely an Aaron."

"Aaron James?"

"I love it. Is that your name Aaron?"

"What a great birthday right?"

"I wouldn't trade it for the world."

Wally said and kissed his wife. He would always protect his family. No matter what.....