In Memoriam

The following days were somber in mood. The site of the battle became the site of a graveyard for the many that perished. Families came to mourn and pay their respects. I also got my first taste of how the pokemon do funerals. It's often based on their typing. Ground and rock types get buried or put in tombs, fire types are cremated, grass types are used to grow a tree as their "gravestone." Shame that if I die on Pokemar my body won't stick around. I don't think I'd mind my body becoming a tree. Seems poetic, in a way.
For electric types, they are electrified until the body is reduced to ash. Sort of a different form of cremation. Dark types are put in coffins especially made that the bodies will always be left in complete darkness. As those types comprised the whole of the casualties, those were the practices I saw firsthand.
At the very center of the graveyard sat a carved stone monument as a memorial. Written on it was the phrase "We honor the memory of the fallen by living in peace." With luck, this sentiment will continue to be the case as the years go by.
I spot Thunder staring off into blank space, no doubt thinking of what had happened. I make my way over to him, wondering what exactly was on his mind.
"Hey, Thunder." I say to him.
"Hey, Alex." He replies.
"Thinking about Sadu?"
"Yes. That and this whole ordeal."
"Yeah... It was quite something. Seems like wherever we go, trouble is not far behind."
"I just wished we could have stopped it sooner. Then..."
"...It wouldn't have happened. I know. But we can't turn back the clock. All we can do is look ahead and ensure that we do not repeat the same mistakes."
"I know... It doesn't make it any easier, though."
Another voice joins the conversation. "Hey, at least you set things right. Not many here can say they did that." I turn around to see Sadu, limping towards us.
As it turned out, the blow Sadu took didn't actually kill him. Though it came pretty close. He's been bedridden since then, working his strength back up. In fact...
"You're as stubborn as a Tauros, dad. You should be asleep."
"Nah. I've been through worse..." he replies, nearly toppling over. We rush to stabilize him.
"Easy there... you're not about to walk off inch deep lacerations." I reply. "Your body just can't handle it. Believe me, I know."
"So you've experienced this as well? I doubt that."
"Well, if you count being impaled, then yeah. I've gone through it."
"Oh... I see."
"Why are you up anyway?" Thunder asks.
"Asva was going to give a speech at Cerulean Memorial. I wanted to be there."
"But that's not for another hour."
"Yeah, well, patience has never been my strong suit. I just had to get up and stretch my legs a bit."
Umbreon, who was also nearby, chuckles in response. "I know that feeling..."
"Still," I add. "it does you no good to be up and about like this. We'll call you when the speech starts. But in the meantime, please rest."
"Fine, 'Doctor Alex.'" He replies in mock sarcasm.

🕐🕒🕔🕖🕘🕛

An hour later, everyone is called to the memorial site by Asva. It was time to pay our respects. As promised, I alert Sadu and help him to the memorial site, where we sit him on a chair we brought out. As Asva takes his place in front of the stone monument, the voices of the crowd hush. Soon the entire graveyard is bathed in utter silence.
"I'm grateful so many of you came out here today." Asva starts. "I know there's still some amnesty between our kinds, but my hope is that this day will mark as a turning point in our relationship. For 20 years, we have fought tooth and nail against one another. Bloody skirmishes across Kanto Major. From the green forests of Viridian City to the desolate and dangerous Lavender Valley blood has been spilled. And brave pokemon fallen. But today, we put it all behind us.
"The battle here at Cerulean River was by far the most brutal of the war. And the graves that lie before you reflect this. It shall serve as a reminder of the suffering that comes with such hate. And not just the suffering of the dead, but those that are left behind. The husbands, wives, children, mothers, fathers, friends, and siblings. They too, suffered from our blind hate. But no more.
"Let this site be a reminder of the folly of war. Of the consequences that result of such a course. May we remember what we lost, and vow never to repeat it. I call upon my kind to abandon this destructive conflict! And to the Raichu as well! Let us meet not out of malice, but of peace and understanding! On this day, the war ends! And we begin an era of peace!" Cheers erupted from the crowd. Ours included. We actually did it. We helped end the war! I feel an immense satisfaction as I watch as both Zoroark and Raichu alike smile, cheer, and even hug. Asva is right. This war is well... and truly...
Over.

🕐🕒🕔🕖🕘🕛

"Alex. Thunder." Sadu says to us as we prepare to leave. "I wanted to say that I'm sorry for how I acted. I was so blinded by fury I could only think of their suffering... and hundreds of pokemon payed for it with their lives."
"Don't worry dad." Thunder answers. "What matters is that you realize your mistakes now. Maybe I can hook you up with Munna. She's been through something somewhat similar. I'm sure she'd love to talk with you."
"Sure. Why not?" The two walk towards each other and embrace. "It was good to see you again, Dova."
"You know, in spite of everything, it's been good to see you too." As they break the hug Thunder turns back in my direction.
"When will you visit again?"
"I'll see if I can't come back once a month or something."
"I'll be eagerly awaiting it." Suddenly the light grows dark as the magnagate opens.
"Alright you two!" Umbreon calls to us. "It's time to go!"
"We'll be right there!" I yell back. I turn my attention back to Sadu. "Goodbye Sadu. until next time." I spot Asva and Poki also coming my way.
"We'll be here, waiting for your return, Alex." Asva says with a wave as we depart.
"Good luck you two!" Poki yells. "And thanks for everything!" I return the gesture as the gate closes, sending us back home to Unova Minor. To Pokemon Paradise.

🕐🕒🕔🕖🕘🕛

"It's good to be back..." I say to myself as we walk back to out house.
"Absolutely." Thunder agrees. "That was quite the wild ride." I open the door and step inside. But what happens next, I did not expect. The floor caved in, creating a sinkhole in the floor, dragging me along with it.
"Alex?!" Thunder calls out. "Are you okay!?"
"Yeah... " I groan. "I'm fine... what the heck happened? Why'd the floor collapse?"
"Because I rigged it to." Emolga's voice announces from behind Thunder.
"What?! Why?!"
"I told you before you left. I was going to have a 'surprise' for you."
"Emolga... this isn't funny. Someone's going to have to pay for this." I hiss angrily as I rappel my way back up.
"See, I'd love to. But I just spent a good chunk of it on a buffet for Dunspace's birthday so I'm a bit low. So... you two will have to handle it yourselves. Bye!" Seriously!? Dunspacre's birthday is three months off! What sort of an excuse is that!?
"Emolga! Get back here!" I yell as I give chase. "You're not slipping your way out of this one! Stop running! Emolga!"
"Home sweet home." I could faintly hear Thunder chuckle as I continued to chase down the vandal.

To be continued in...

Explorers of Time