Fairytale en Flambé

A big door.  A feeble knock. 

The door groaned toward her with a slight push of an pale ivory hand. 

A dirty girl in a ripped canvas dress sat in front of the door.  She looked up at the house's resident, panting because of her run through the forest.

His firefly green eyes crackled with power and curiosity as he looked back down at her.  "Who are you?"  He asked. 

She tried to look around him into the cottage.   Her heart rate galloped in her ears as she saw a shift of green light inside. 

"Ah, um, is there a woman here?  S-someone taking shelter?  Maybe an old woman that can transform into a fairy?"  She asked without meeting his eyes. 

He kept an easy smile and pulled the door wide open to reveal a modest,  little, and empty cottage.

"No one here, I'm afraid.  Would you like to come in?  Have some tea?  Or would you rather water?"  He asked, getting ahead of himself.

She glanced around the darkening forest.  How was she supposed to get home? 

Her heart started to slow along with her pumping adrenaline.  The energy left her legs, making them a bit numb with effort. 

Despite this, she reluctantly stood up.  She rubbed her tongue along the inside of her dry mouth.  "If it's no trouble, I would like some water please." She said politely. 

He allowed her inside and shut the door behind her when she was in. 

"Make yourself comfortable."  He said, motioning to his little table and two chairs with a grand sweep of his hand.  She sat on the closest chair.

The man went about getting her water with a giddy atmosphere.  "I am quite excited!  That chair hadn't been used in sometime now!  It's been cold and lonely.  It also began to resent me since I favor the other chair.  Well, I shouldn't say 'favor' I just prefer to sit in that one.  Is that considered favoring?  It's just that I have a simple habit of repeatedly sitting in it." He spouted. 

She laughed to herself.  This man spoke so much as if he can hear the chairs speak.

She looked down at the beautiful wood on which she sat.  She made sure to notice the warmth of her body heating up the chair beneath her. 

If the man was right, then did it mean that this made it happy?  She gave it a gentle pat before she played with the notion more in her head. 

"Here you are!" She looked up at the man.  He held out the cup to her with an awaiting grin.

"May I know the name of the person who was so kind to me?"  She muttered awkwardly, taking the cup filled with water from him. 

He ignored her nervous attitude and acted as if nothing was wrong. He laid a hand over his chest. "My name is Ranos.  The sorcerer of Gavenelia Woods."  He said before he sat in the chair across from her.  'His' chair.

The girl's eyes sparkled with this new prospect.  "A sorcerer?  I've never met, or rather even seen, a sorcerer before. I'm Kimi."  She nodded before taking a sip of her water.  It chilled her lips, making them a bright red.

Ranos looked out of a window.  "Why were you looking for a fairy that's an old maid, Kimi?"  He asked.

She set the now empty cup down and rubbed her lips off with the back of her hand.  "I followed her from my house to the forest.  She was supposed to be my fairy godmother; I know it.  I feel as if I'm stealing Cinderella's story, ours is so similar."  She explained.