Chapter Twenty-Two: The Sixth Garde

Finding the other members of the Garde trying to convince Sarah to leave the dark room; John couldn't help but wonder how she had gotten into the school this late at night.

Sarah who had been stood in the doorway arguing with Mason sighed in relief at the sight of John and rushed forward to wrap her arms around him; she didn't care who these other people were and what they thought about this.

"Thank God, I was so worried about you," Sarah whispered attempting to run her fingers through John's hair, she frowned when he resisted her actions and he pushed her away to put some space between them.

John was rather aware that Sarah liked him more than a friend even if he had done nothing to encourage her feelings; he didn't want her crush on him to cause him any issues now that he was with Avalon.

Sarah looked at him rather hurt for a moment before she sighed and looked at Sam, she wondered briefly why he was involved in all of this; she knew that this sort of thing was something that he liked.

Sam had always liked the weird and Sarah wasn't entirely surprised that he had found himself in the middle of something like this; she wasn't even sure herself what was going on only that the other teenagers were trying to get her to leave the school.

"The Mogadorians killed Henri," John stated stiffly knowing that he had to inform the others that they were now on their own; he stepped back when Sarah attempted to comfort him for the loss of his 'father'.

Mason looked concerned at the blonde who was practically clinging to John; he could see that there was going to be trouble if Sarah didn't stop acting interested in John.

There was no telling what was going to happen when Avalon appeared but Sarah was going to be in for a shock; there was nothing that she could do that would sway John from Avalon.

The group started to head down the corridor so that they could find themselves somewhere safe to hold down the fort; they had no idea just what the Mogs might have brought with them to win this fight.

Sarah was quick to keep up with John, who shot her an annoyed look knowing that she needed to stop what she was doing before Avalon arrived; he didn't want her driving a wedge between them now.

"Is everything okay, John?" Sarah asked trying to take his hand to comfort him, she didn't know why he was being so cold with her now when they had always been so close.

"Sarah, I'm sorry if I have given you the wrong impression or I have led you on but I like you as a friend, plus I'm dating Avalon," John insisted wanting to make it clear to her that he wasn't interested, there was enough on his plate right now without having to constantly worry that Sarah was throwing herself at him all the time.

He almost felt bad about what he was doing but Sarah and him would have never happened even if Avalon wasn't in the picture; she was far too clingy for his liking.

Sarah looked confused and hurt as she stepped back from him as she tried to wrap her head around what she had just heard; she couldn't believe that he was doing this right now.

"So instead of staying you're just not interested, you'd lie about being with someone who's dead," Sarah spat disgusted as she stepped back from John with tears in her eyes wanting to be anywhere but here right now.

Sarah blinked back her tears before she turned on her heel and raced away from John, she couldn't stand being around him after he had rejected her like that.

***

Catching up with Sarah wasn't a problem for John, it was getting her to stop before she ended up dead that seemed to be the main issue; she was determined to get away from him no matter what.