Chapter Five

Sorcline placed her hands on one of the large double doors that lead to the Hall of Elements. As she pushed, the door barely moved.

"Wow..." Stenvar stood back, admiring the sky-scraping tower before him. The Breton mage let out a small grunt as she continued to push at the solid stone doors. "Having trouble?" the Nord smirked.

"Shut up..." she threw her weight into it and the only result was the thud of her body as it hit the door. "Yes..." Sorcline muttered. Grinning, the Nord stepped forward and began to lean on the door. Inch by inch, it moved forward until opening up to a small entry room. There were smaller doors to the left and right, while a large metal gate, similar to the one they entered earlier, stood before them. Sorcline exchanged a glance with Stenvar before entering. A large column of blue mage light stood at the center of the circular room. Benches were scattered here and there along the walls and several more seals, such as the one from the entry exam, dotted the floor.

"Welcome! Welcome! We were just beginning. Please, stay and listen," an elderly man greeted from the far side of the room. He gestured for the pair to join him and the small group standing before him. The Breton and her companion came to stand beside three others dressed in Novice robes. Though they looked at her to give a welcome nod, Sorcline could not decipher their race with their hoods casting shadows over their features. "My name is Tolfdir. As a professor here at the college, my speciality is Alteration. And for those of you who recently arrived at the college," he shot a glance at Sorcline. "I also serve, for lack of a better term, as your den mother. Yes, my room is stationed in the Hall of Attainment with you young mages. After an unfortunate incident, involving a missing horse and the arrival of a half naked young woman with the inability to speak... the Arch-mage felt a little supervision was in order."

"Why does a half naked girl raise such concern?" a young man amongst the students asked.

"Because Mr. Onmund... her diet consisted strictly of hay and apples," the elderly mage looked at the young student, who fell silent from shock. "Now moving on to our lecture. The first thing to learn is that magic, by its very nature, is volatile and dangerous. And in the hands of your enemy, it can prove fatal. In the midst of an attack, defensive magic may be your only chance for survival. Shall we begin with the teaching of a simple ward spell?" A groan rose from the other students and Sorcline furrowed her brows in disapproval of their moaning. "Excuse me?" Tolfdir looked down at his pupils.

"Sir, can't we learn something more practical?" a woman spoke from amongst the group. The other two voiced their agreement with quiet yeses.

"Practical, hmmm? And what about you?" Tolfdir turned to Sorcline.

"What's more practical than learning to mitigate the damages of a foe?" she replied.

"Exactly!" he exclaimed. "Thank the gods, someone gets it..." he mumbled under his breath. "Since we seem to be on the same page, shall we demonstrate?"

"Me, sir?" she responded.

"Are you familiar with wards?" the professor asked.

"Uh, yes... but..." she lost her words as a past experience came to mind.

"Danddal, are you sure about this?" the adolescent teen stood a fair distance from her mentor. Her hair was in a long braid that ended between her shoulder blades.

"Of course I'm sure. Interactive learning is one of the best parts to being a wizard. As soon as you have your ward stable, I'll launch a minor frostbolt in your direction. Ready?" he spoke confidently.

"Yes, sir..." Sorcline cringed as she began to pool her magic. Before her a transparent shield formed.

"Doing great!" Danddal shouted, as a white frost sphere formed in his hand. Just as the bolt left his palm, Sorcline's ward began to flicker.