Chapter Seven

"What in the world was that racket? Is everything alright?" Tolfdir called from the other side of the bars.

"We're trapped in here, or haven't you noticed the solid iron spears blocking our exit," the Nord glowered from in between the horizontal slits.

"How in the world did that happen?" the old man asked, paying no mind to Stenvar's agitation.

"I pulled an amulet off the wall," Sorcline answered as she joined the other two.

"Which I warned not to," Stenvar reminded as he leaned against the bars. The Breton gave her companion a childish glare, to which he responded with an equally immature eye roll.

"Really? Perhaps the amulet is important somehow. Is there some way you can use it?" Tolfdir asked, appearing in deep thought.

"Maybe..." Sorcline slid the necklace over her head.

"Oh, now you're putting it on. That's just great," Stenvar's sarcasm was unmistakable. Just as the stone hit her chest, a fluttering field appeared before the amulet's past resting place.

"Do you see that?" Tolfdir asked. Stenvar stood up straight as the presence of the new essence became more visible. "Some kind of resonance... you and the wall. It must be connected to the amulet! I wonder... what effect might your spells have?"

"It's worth a try," Sorcline held up her fist before quickly opening her fingers to create a fire bolt.

"And your logic says to launch a fire ball at it? How is that better?" Stenvar asked. The she-mage simply responded with a small smile before returning to her target. Sorcline launched her attack spell and the wall before her burst, filling the space with dust and rock fragments. Her body was thrown backward from the force of the explosion onto the floor and she laid motionless in the debris. In a panic Stenvar sprinted across the chamber, sliding across the stones on his knees to reach her side amongst the rubble.

"To answer your question; I think there are draw backs to both," she smiled though she coughed from the stone dust she inhaled. The Nord shook his head in disapproval, but the corners of his mouth turned up in a hidden smile that she could not see. He helped her to her feet, steadying her as she regained her balance.

"Well that wasn't quite what I had expected," Tolfdir slowly entered the room.

"How did you get in?" Sorcline asked, dusting off her robes.

"Seems your spell activated the trap mechanism. It fell back into the floor," the older mage began to glance around the opening in the wall. "Well, this is highly unusual. And very interesting. Why in the world would this be sealed off? What is this place?" Tolfdir stepped into the rediscovered passage, with the other two following behind him. The two mages were far more excited than Stenvar, who held his great sword in preparation for a fight.

The small group of explorers reached a rather unspectacular burial room. Before even getting a chance to investigate, the room became bright and the grey fog Sorcline was accustomed to turned a glowing white. Suddenly a figure stood before her, his form more steady than the other smoky outlines that made up her vision. She glanced at Stenvar and then to Tolfdir; both their bodies were still. Had this phantom stopped time?

"Hold, mage, and listen well... Know that you have set in motion a chain of events that cannot be stopped. Judgement has not been passed, as you had no way of knowing. Judgement will be passed on your actions to come, and how you deal with the dangers ahead of you. This warning is passed to you because the Psijic Order believes in you. You, mage, and you alone, have the potential to prevent disaster. Take great care, and know that the Order is watching," and as quickly as the figure appeared, he was gone along with his white light.