Chapter 37

"No. No, this can't be happening." Naomi ran back and forth through the office, loading her pistol and kicking nearby objects in anger. "All that planning, all that work, shattered in a matter of minutes." She had pulled her purple hair into a ponytail to keep it out of her eyes and had two huge turrets aimed at the elevator doors, ready to pummel those rebels with bullets as soon as they entered the room. There was no way she was going down without a fight. She was gonna kill them, then blow them up just like they'd done to her daughter.

The elevator dinged but before the doors opened, Naomi heard the rumbling of an engine outside of the window and turned, distracted. She could see Jylie waiting in Roddy's ship, guns trained on the office. Ha. If that woman tried to shoot her she'd kill the rebels in the elevator too. Confident that Jylie wouldn't attack, she turned back to the lift and began shooting at the three men inside. The doors opened and Edge ran out, yelling, before tackling her. He had his hands on her throat but the turrets began firing at him and he had to leap behind the desk to avoid getting ripped to shreds. Only a few of the bullets managed to hit him, lodging themselves in the arm he'd held up in defense.

"Turn off those turrets!" Roderick yelled before leaping behind a metal, decorative pot and firing at Naomi. She had positioned herself behind one of the huge guns and was letting it do the shooting for her. As soon as he started trying to kill her, she stepped behind the bulk of the turret and waited for him to reload, then tossed a grenade near him, forcing him to jump under John's desk and join Edge.

Jentzen managed to fire a few shots at the nearest turret before joining the other guys, then he'd occasionally shoot over the desk when there was a break in the enemy fire. It looked like they'd have to wait for John to help them since there was no way to destroy those things without a rocket launcher. The birdman peeked out to the left and saw Naomi walking toward them, hoping to force them out of cover.

The psycho lady had almost reached them when Jylie flew the ship through the window and landed right behind the trio. They heard John yell "I just fixed that window!" before the magic woman leapt out of the downed ship and charged toward Naomi, holding a green shield in front of her to stop the army of bullets. Naomi managed to fire at the girl but missed.

"I've almost got it!" John yelled from the cockpit to the three hiding rebels seconds before the turrets shut down and pointed aimed at the ground. "Okay, go!"

Edge grinned and leapt over the desk, knocking his fists together and cornering Naomi. The woman began shooting at the muscle man but Jylie blocked her attacks. Jentzen came out from cover and began firing his shotgun, silently concentrating to make every shot count. His spray of bullets hit her leg and she fell to her knees, still shooting at them desperately. Jylie then walked up behind her and made a large cut down the woman's back with a green knife, weakening her and making her finally drop her little gun.

When Roderick stepped out from behind his cover, Naomi spit a mouthful of blood at him and attempted to threaten him but was too weak to say anything intelligible. It was clear that she'd bleed out in a minute and then the battle would truly be over. As the rebel leader looked down at her, he didn't see a look of regret or loss in her eyes, only hatred. That look made it easy for him to complete his job.

As he picked up her pistol and pressed it to her head, ready to put her out of her misery, John stepped out the ship, laptop in hand. Naomi's eyes went wide as she realized that he'd been the one sabotaging all of her machinery. After thinking for a second, her look of surprise turned to one of amusement. She grinned at Roderick, finding it hilarious that they'd trusted a psychopath just to kill her.