Chapter 22- Life-support

(The picture above is a picture of Juliana carver and her mum Tammy, when Juliana was very sick in hosptial, as Bella is in this chapter)

Christy's POV:

Eventually we arrive at the hosptial. My parents agreed to let me be the one to go with her. And my mum was the one who rung Caleb. But it's 5am do he didn't pick up straight away. We've decided to leave it until Caleb rings us again, we don't want to get him too panicked.
Bella is now being wheeled in to the emergency department, still unconisous and covered in Blood.
They shift her over onto another bed, then a crowd of about 8 A&E Doctors begin smothering her with machines and tests.
"A handover please." Says one of the doctors to the paramedics.
"This is Bella, she's 17 years old and has stage 4 cancer. Her family explained that she was beginning to show fever like symptoms last night, and this morning she's had a severe nose bleed, as well as been vomiting blood, and then had a seizure."
"How long did the seizure last?"
"A couple of minutes."
"Right okay. Thank you, nurse, can you do a primary survey for me please."
I stand there watching in despair as they toss and turn Bella's seemingly lifeless body. Inserting more needles and more tubes in her hands and elbows, and hooking her up to heart monitors and oxygen tanks.
A nurse has hold of me and is attempting to comfort me as I stand just a few metres away from what seems like organised madness.
"Maybe we should go sit in the relatives room?"
"No! Im not leaving her until I know she's okay."
"She's in good hands."
"I know. But she needs me. I'm not going anywhere."
"are your parents coming?"
"Yes they should be here soon."
"Well when they get here they'll be taken to the relatives room, and then I'll take you to them okay?"
"Fine. But I'm not leaving until I know my sisters going to be okay."
"Of course. We'll do everything we can."

Once she's been changed into a hosptial gown, and hooked up to every machine possible, I'm allowed to go sit next to her bed.
The head emergency department doctor comes up to me, and explains a few things.
"Hi, and your Bella's sister?"
"Yes. Christy."
"Hi Christy. Bella is stable for the moment, but I've had a listen and there are some abnormal
Sounds suggesting there's no air entry into her left lung."
"So what does that mean?"
"It means it could be filled with fluid, which will need to be drained."
"Or tumours." I say quietely.
"What was that?"
"I said it could just be her tumours. She had a lot of tumour growth in her lungs a little while ago. The radiotherapy has reduced them but we didn't know how long the treatment would last."
"That could be a possibility. But it doesn't explain the seizure. Has she ever had a seizure before?"
"No. never."
"I'm just going to ring her oncologist, and possibly get him to come down here. She'll most likely need an MRI scan, to check for any new problems else where."
"Thankyou Doctor."
And finally I'm allowed to go see her.
She's lying flat on her back with two sources of oxygen strapped to her face, and a body so covered with leads and tubes she doesn't even look like my Bella anymore. Silent tears stream down my cheeks, as I grab hold of her ice cold hands, and attempt to stare into those beautiful eyes which are currently, peacefully shut.
"Oh Bella...I really thought we had lost you this time. But I can see how tired your are-" I begin increasing my flow of tears as I speak "your so tired of it all aren't you? I just want you to know, that it's okay... if you can't do it anymore. I - I - I love you. And I'm here for you no matter what." I then collpase down onto my knees and grab hold of her tiny body tightly, "I love you Bella."
A nurse then comes in and helps me stand back up again. "Your parents are here. I'll need to get Dr. Ruben to explain to them what's going on before they can see her. Do you want to come to the relatives room with me? Bella's not going anywhere I promise you."
"Er - okay -sure."

One of the nurses takes my arm to help stand me up, then she keeps our arms crossed until we reach the relatives room where I see two sobbing parents on the other side.
"Oh Christy how is she?" My mum jumps up immediately and wraps her arms around me.
"She's stable. But they want to run some more tests. I'm so scared mum."
"I know Christy I know, so are we."
"I'll give you guys some alone time. I'll let you know when you can see Bella." Says the nurse then leaves us in this oddly quiet and depressing room.