Chapter 4

Note to Reader: Alright, so I'm obviously terrible at staying on schedule lol.  Life has been kicking my butt.  Anyway, at least it's only a day late this time :).

Hope everyone is doing well!  Happy Reading!

***

Booker

I got to the station early the next morning, like a usually did.

I liked being in there alone at that time, when I could use the peace and quiet to get things done that I might not have time to get to through the course of the day.

Once everyone else was up and starting their day, I was usually pulled in multiple directions simultaneously.

Pouring myself a cup of coffee, I went into my office.

And immediately knew Saif had been in there recently.

His scent mark was too strong to have been from anything but yesterday and I knew I hadn't spoken to him in here yesterday.

I scanned the room as I sat down at my desk.

Everything seemed to be in place, but that didn't mean anything.

Going by a hunch, I opened the third drawer in my desk and reached for the bottom of the stack.

I pulled out the files and brought them to my nose.

Saif's distinct scent was all over them.

Not surprising after the too casual question he'd asked at lunch the other day.

I scanned through the folders to make sure nothing was missing,though I doubted it would be. I'd gone through them myself so many times that I'd memorized their contents.

Everything was accounted for.

I spread the files out, opened the folders, and sat back in my chair as I scanned them again.

Why was he so interested?

The obvious answer would be that he had some kind of connection to one of the victims.

Since the one before the last one was years ago, I was guessing it was the most recent woman who had disappeared.

Nina Nguyen. Twenty-two years old, five feet-eight inches tall, one hundred twenty pounds, dark hair and eyes, mixed race.

Dad Tomas Nguyen, mother Nicole.

Came on a weekend getaway with a girlfriend who had to bail early because of a work emergency.

Her friend, Kristin Potts, was the last person to see her the night she left to drive back to the city, leaving Nina in her hotel room.

Nobody could recall seeing her after that.

The footage from the hotel security cameras was unavailable because their system had been having issues for a while and they hadn't yet gotten it fixed.

Her car had still been in the parking lot, she'd spoken with her mother that night soon after her friend left. She'd decided to stay for the next couple of days since her room was already booked.

Understandable.

When she didn't call after a couple of days, her parents got worried. She usually called daily.

That's when we were called and I'd gone over to her room.

Her things had still been there, as if she'd just gone out for a moment.