Chapter 12 & 13

Note to Reader:  The End!  Sorry for the delay- I'm obviously horrible with scheduling.  Sigh.  Doing the best that I can right now.  Anyway, here is the last of it!  I hope you enjoy it guys :).

Also, I'm working on another story in my Mate Series right now- if you're interested in getting an advanced copy when I finish in exchange for an Amazon review, email me with the subject REVIEWER (dawnwilder(at)yahoo.com).  I'll add you to my review list where I send out most of my new work, including books from other series and other standalones :).

I'm backed up on emails right now, so if you sent me one to sign up to my mailing list, I will get back to you!  Going through them now!

On to the end!  Love all you for reading :).

***

Booker

When we got to the station, the parking lot was empty.

"Do you see Melissa's car?" I asked as I pulled into a spot.

Saif looked around, his frown mirroring mine.

"No."

Shit.

We got out of the car and headed inside, both of us looking around warily.

It was possible she'd had to go out for an emergency call, but...

The station door was unlocked.

She'd been here at some point.

I looked at Saif, my own worry mirrored in his eyes.

I opened the door and we stepped inside.

The light was on, but it was usually left on if one of us was coming back.

I pulled my sidearm, though I didn't think I'd need it, and Saif followed my lead.

I gestured to him that I'd check the back and he nodded, turning to start in the main room.

I checked the holding cells we had in back.

Empty.

I came back out to the front and joined Saif in a quick, systematic search.

Any scenario I thought of was a bad one.

"Booker!"

I looked up, responding to the urgency in Saif's voice.

He was behind the front desk.

I hurried over.

He'd found Melissa.

She'd obviously been shoved under there, the desk chair pushed in against her to help hide her.

She was still breathing, but she'd taken a blow to the head judging by the knot back there.

Eloise was obviously a world champion at bludgeoning.

"Shit."

I called the paramedics again and we waited until they arrived.

I hope I never had to break this record for calls to the paramedics in one night.

The fact that Eloise still wasn't awake when they got there wasn't a good sign.

Her mother burst in just as they were wheeling her out.

I'd called her right after I'd called the emergency personnel.

"What happened?" she demanded as she saw Melissa.

"She had someone in custody. Since that person isn't here we're assuming it was her," I said grimly.