Mistakes and a Sweaty Marco

(italic for Tom, normal writing for Marco because the author is lazy and thinks that you all don't want to keep reading 'Marco's POV' or 'Tom's POV')

(thanks for the cover, babe mabelsflowercrown  )

(this first chapter is based off an RP I had with Amaryllis_T but then I'm going to continue the story by myself... so go follow them because they helped me so much with this!💜)

Marco's heart raced as he saw his best friend emerge from behind the curtains in a new, pink dress. Little did she know that the so-called 'safe kid' would follow after her, just to make sure that her demon ex didn't try anything suspicious. You never could be too careful. Just thinking about it, Marco realised how little he understood - about Tom and the dance. Marco never really trusted Tom, but then he hadn't ever had the chance. Then, the brunet wondered why this ball was so important for Tom and Star. Nothing really added up. Marco looked up just in time to see Star leave and he prepared to follow her.

Tom looked at himself in the mirror. He looked perfect, handsome enough for Star. This was going to be a spectacular night, one almost as good as Tom thought he appeared. Star would fall for him, even if she didn't choose too, and their soulls would end up bound together for the rest eternity. Of course his therapist disapproved, said he was reverting back to his "clingy" and "overly obsessive" self again. That obviously wasn't true. Star and Tom, they were meant to be together. There were no qualms in Tom's mind about this and there should be none in Star's either. Soulmates, as humans called them, thats what they were.

As Marco disguised himself within the leaves of a well-placed bush, he stole a glance at Star. The blonde had just entered the ball-room. For an unknown reason, butterflies danced in his stomach as he pulled down the decorated mask over his face. The boy gulped but then slipped in, merging with the gathering crowd. "Star!" He whispered, then repeated a little louder. "Star, where are you?" Marco's eyes narrowed and scanned the whole room, though unable to see through the mass of horns and the tall demons. Scurrying in between a dance pair, the boy continued to look for his friend. A tinge of worry sparked inside of him. Tom couldn't have found her yet, right?

Tom entered the ballroom, scanning the entire crowd. He smiled only when he saw the faint blond of Star's hair. Pushing his way through the groups of people, Tom approached Star. "Its so nice of you to come." Tom bowed and the girl turned to face him. She had put so much effort into her outfit and that only added to Tom's great abundance of joy. Star didn't just show up; She wanted to be here.

Marco huffed out in desperation; he couldn't find his ecstatic friend anywhere. Soon, he was pacing - dodging horns and spikes all the while. Suddenly, he caught sight of a pink flash, which could have been no other than Star. Outstretching his arm, he weaved deftly between the guests to reach his friend. Fate seemed to be against him at that moment, as the music suddenly changed and the wave of the crowd pushed him forward, much like shells onto a clean shore. Except this was no shore. He had just been pushed right into the back of a tall demon. About to stutter out a sincere apology, Marco realised that this was no other than Tom: Star's crazy ex-boyfriend.

Tom turned around, anger whelming up inside him. The stupid demon who had bumpred into him wore a mask and didn't look familiar. That was irrelevant though, for whoever they were still tried to ruin Tom's special day with Star. They weren't going to do anything like that however, and they would pay for their failed attempts. Tom's face started to glow red and his feet hovered above the ground, flames forming flowers of pure hatred around him.

"Wo-Woah, sorry Tom! Uh- I mean," Marco gulped, changing his voice halfway through the sentence, hoping that the raging demon in front of him didn't notice much. Taking a slow step back, Marco prepared for the worst: a wave of fire burning him alive or even Star finding out that he was here - that would never end well. Squeezing his eyes shut, Marco held his breath, waiting for the demon's blow. Though, there was none. Hesitantly, his eyes fluttered open, and quickly adjusted to suit the bright red light surrounding the pair. Marco, now more confused with the fascinating red light than the less angry demon, averted his eyes to the prince of hell who was fixated on the red moon. 'Great,' Marco thought. 'Even he doesn't know what's going on.'

Tom felt himself be lowered to his feet again. The light of the blood moon was on this stranger and him? That couldn't even have been possible. The light only focused on the people with the most chemistry. Could this mysterious dancer be the perfect match for this demon prince? Tom considered it for a second, cooling down as he did so. Perhaps they were meant to be. Perhaps whoever this was would make Tom happy, get rid of his issues. That would be spectacular. But, if he wasn't given a chance. A hand was held out, close enough for Marco to reach it.

Marco cautiously looked down at it, assessing the level of danger, before accepting the fact that he was actually excited. He was excited to dance with Star's ex boyfriend. And Marco didn't care if it was wrong. Marco slid his hand into Tom's and followed the demon's lead. Luckily enough, the boy could remember everything from his dancing lessons when he was a lot younger, and it did help having the extra balance from karate. Soon, the boys were twirling around, grinning like maniacs. The brunette thought he could see Star at one point but she quickly disappeared into the blur of the crowd that stood watching. Marco could feel no other presence than the demon in front of him. He knew it was dangerous, but he loved it.

One of the demon's hands slid down and around the stranger's waist. They moved in perfect rhythm, their heartbeats matching with the beat of the song. Each footstep was aligned together as if they had years of training. Tom dipped the stranger occasionally and each time it was as if his dance partner was aware of it before it happened. They could move in time better than Tom had ever with Star. He felt the joy build up inside of him, and the red light above few stronger and brighter. The music was about to end and Tom lifted up the stranger's mask just enough so that he could connect their lips, which is exactly what he did.

Marco's breath mingled with the stranger's as their faces remained impossibly close, Marco's head tilted up to remain looking at his dance partner. The boy didn't know if he was flushed from their extravagant dance or the heated moment. Suddenly, Tom pulled away and Marco opened his eyes; his love struck gaze resting on the prince. The sudden gasp from the crowd, however, did bring the boy back to his senses just as he remembered that he wasn't entirely covered by his saviour mask. Hurt and pain struck the boy's heart as a pale arm looped around his and he was yanked back. Star. The human dug his heels into the ground and removed his arm from the blonde's  vice-like grip. He wanted Tom, not Star.

(okay)