SON OF TESLA: Chapter 56

THE SUDDEN SILENCE IN the room was suffocating. Brodham stood enveloped in it and blinked again, just to make sure.

They were gone.

They were both gone.

Where Jem had stood, a thick, gnarled, black gash hung over the platform. Its edges seemed to pull the air into it, like skin tightening around a scar. That's what it was, Brodham realized. A scar. Somehow, Petar and Jem's passing had scarred this tiny little patch of reality, right here in front of him.

Brodham was scared to touch it.

Instead, he touched his stomach and found that, like the interstatic breach, a twisting scar had formed across his stomach where Samil's bullet had hit him.

If Brodham had believed in miracles, this would have ranked pretty high.

He backed away slowly, then turned and vaulted off the platform. Suddenly all he wanted was to get out of this room, out of this building, and feel the sun on his face. He slid out through the hole, then skirted quickly along the wall inside the main lab until he reached the exit door. The creature was still gnashing at the Tesla coil, ignoring the intermittent blare of rifle fire from the surviving soldiers.

Brodham slipped through the door, vaulted the steps two at a time, and left it all behind him.

But no matter how much he ran, Brodham knew he couldn't go far enough.

It was only just beginning.