Some Enchanted Evening

Munkustrap was awakened shortly before dawn by a knock at the closet’s frame. And yet, the knock sounded closer, as if it were like a tapping on his forehead. Demeter and Bombalurina came awake at the same time, and Amanda stirred in her box above them. 

      “Yes?” 

      “Lord Munkustrap? Please come out.” 

      The Silver Tabby regarded first his Gold Queen and then the Scarlet. “Khan? What is he doing here so early?” 

      “They’re leaving, Munk.” Demeter untied the gloves protecting her paws. “It is time.” 

      As Amanda slipped down and joined her parents, Munkustrap went to the opening and looked out. Before the closet, Khan and Victor waited, with Cheetera, Topper and Nicole. Sebastian waited with them, and yet he stood apart from them physically. Close by, Fawn, Mattie and Starcatcher appeared to be aligning themselves with the others. 

      “Please,” Khan asked, his paws extended. “I implore you to meet me.” 

      The sun chose that time to peak through and its early beams touched the fur of the son of Macavity. His colors, muted though they were, became vibrant, and he seemed to glow. Munkustrap eased out, followed closely by his two Mates and his youngest daughter. 

      “I must take my leave of you, Lord Munkustrap. But not for long. We will meet at the festivals and especially at the Jellicle Ball. I wanted to thank you like this in front of those who will be the Heathrow Tribe. You accepted me, even though I am the son of your enemy.” 

      “I had to, Lord Khan,” Munkustrap replied formally. “My First is your sister, even if by another Queen. I accept her and she is my Beloved. If I can do that, accepting you is easier still.” 

      “You are too kind. Look at me, my Lord. Am I not in his image?” 

      “Your heart is different,” Demeter said, still staying close to Munkustrap. 

      Khan nodded. “Sister? Did not my coming here cause you apprehension?” 

      “Yes,” nodded Demeter, her eyes downcast, her ears flattening. 

      “You accepted me only after I showed myself to differ from my Sire. Queen Demeter? I am sorry for what my Family has done to you. I wish I could have prevented the harm that you had to endure.” 

      “I thank you for those words, Lord Khan,” Demeter curtsied slightly. 

      “I may be the sage of the Heathrow Tribe, as Old Deuteronomy was to you, my Lord, but we realize our allegiance to this Tribe. You are the First, Lord Munkustrap. The Silver Tabby. Maybe, if the fates are kind, and the Great Master permits it, we shall always be able to remain in friendship and mutually supporting each other.” 

      “Oh dear,” Demeter suddenly said, clutching at Munkustrap’s arm. The Gold-Black Queen stiffened, her green-gold eyes wide. “It’s happening…” 

      “Deme?” “Beloved?” 

      Demeter was breathing hard, and needed the support given her by Munkustrap and Bombalurina. “Domino… She’s in trouble…” 

      “Surely she is secure with your Guardian,” Khan commented, his voice concerned. 

      “Yes, she is safe… Pain… Beloved! She’s in labor, and she’s hurting…” 

      Khan turned to his Tribe, and selected Fawn. “Healer? Your duty is here for now. Go! The Tribe will wait for you.” 

      The leopard-spotted Healer nodded, touching both the Ex-Enforcer and his Mate, and sped off toward the Infirmary, which would gear up as a Nursery. Munkustrap and Bombalurina enclosed Demeter between them, trying to calm her. Khan added his embrace as a triad formed about the Gold Queen.