We were young

// George Harrison Imagine// 1950

I was only seven when I met George, who was my best friend and husband later on. This is the story.

I ran away from a nasty group of kids. They were so much older than seven year old me. They must have been about ten or eleven!

"John she's only a little kid let's just leave her."
"Alright but I wouldn't of hurt her it was a laugh."

Whoever they were I hated them. After all that running I found myself at a little field with two goalposts and some old swings. A boy was sitting on top of the goal post fiddling with a tennis ball. I had to go and see this.

"How did you get up there?" I asked laughing at how crazy this boy was.
He grinned "I climbed up that tree and jumped down. The last time my friend did this he ended up in hospital!"

I couldn't believe how strangely brave he was. I wouldn't dare do that.

"Wanna join me?"
"No of course not! My mother would be mad if I hurt myself from tree climbing! If you want to talk let's go to the swings."

The boy shrugged and jumped down from the goal post. He walked to the swings and sat down as I sat next to him.

"So you are?"
"George. George Harrison." He seemed proud of his name. I laughed.
"I'm Rosie, Rosie Starkey. You know my cousin is always in hospital he might know you friend. But maybe not he's quite a lot older than me. He's ten! How old are you?"
"I'm seven. I wish I was older like your cousin."
I was so surprised. I hardly knew anyone my age.
"I'm seven too!"

He then took my hand and ran with my to the other side of the field. When we stopped George nearly fell over but he just laughed.

"So are we friends?" I asked nervously.
"Friends." He agreed.