Noon - Chapter 4: The Trip (part 1)

A story by Rin Hoshizora.

I was with Kayo-chin and I was making some tempura shrimps with the bread flour I found on the top shelf. While she was busy with the rice cooker I made a mixture on the flour with some base flavour and baking soda. We took a picture too as she made a selfie with me in the background was cooking. She then rested on the chair and we talked, Kayo-chin took out her phone and was playing with it too.

That morning the two of us were so excited that we came so early ahead of the others. We had set our bags near the hanging chalkboard, which I drew nine cats on them with specific little details to represent each member – I played with the colours too. I struggled with some cats, like Umi-chan but since I could just draw a ring next to her cat we would all know who this kitten represented next to the yellow-tailed cat.

The rice was done, but I still had a few more to make. Soy sauce and chili flakes were out on the table too. Then we heard footsteps from the stairs and the lights for it lit up before we could even see their feet. Umi-chan slowly appear from the bottom up, with Eli-chan popped her head from the shoulder. They didn't look impressed at all and seemed to be fussed. At the same time, they looked tired too.

'Good morning nya!!'

'Oh! Morning, Umi-chan, Eli-chan.'

'Morning...' Umi replied and walked towards the fridge, dragging her feet. She was worked up.

Eli-chan took a seat next to Kayo-chin. Their expression hadn't changed.

'You know, when I gave you spare keys I didn't mean you can just come here and make breakfast. Especially without telling me you're already in the apartment.'

'But we sent you a picture, Eli-chan. See...' Kayo-chin showed Eli-chan the photo we took earlier that she sent to the group chat.

'Besides, I'm making some breakfast for you girls too.' I said.

'Yeah but we only saw it when Eli asked if anyone was here. By the way, you don't have to make so much, Rin. Eli and I can share... She's not supposed to have fried food for breakfast but I can let this once slide.'

Umi-chan came over to me while she talked and grabbed two glasses with one hand because her other hand was holing a jug of milk, about half left... or half full... She then came over to Eli's side and poured the milk for both glasses just when I finished cooking as I served them on the plates. Kayo-chin had already served the rice because she wanted more rice portion – she was bias to herself. The same amount she got for me and Umi's plate.

'So why are you here so early?' Eli-chan asked.

'We're so excited that we thought we wait for the rest here with you.'

'That's nice.' Umi-chan smiled as she gave one of the glass to Eli while she drank the other herself.

'So, what are we doing while we wait?'

'Well, Umi and I was planning to...'

'Eli!'

Umi-chan interrupted Eli-chan who was smiling at her girlfriend.

'We already packed, so maybe we can start loading our things to the car. But again, it's too early to do anything yet.'

Eli-chan talked with milk moustache above her lips like she wore it as whiskers. Umi-chan grabbed a paper towel from the kitchen and wiped it off. It looked like the golden-haired senior had become a child, definitely Eli-chan. Maki-chan used to copy her sometimes and Kayo-chin and myself too, when wanted to impersonate someone so serious or cool. But I never imagined we would try to copy her being cute and cuddly as she was sitting there in a robe.