Chapter 3

God I hate Derrick. Mom is a fool for staying with him. He pretends, he pretends to like us. It feels like we are his own daughters. Until... Nevermind. I-I can't.
I walked towards Vinnie's room to check in on her. "Vinnie?" I asked as I knocked on the door, ever so careful, just in case she is sleeping. "Vinnie," I turned the handle, and pushed the door open.
Every time I walk into her room, I smell him. The guy who used to pick Mom flowers everyday form the field in our backyard, leaving the sweet aroma on his clothes. The man who never in his life, raised his voice. He only praised us. Spoke of things that made us feel good. The man who was once my father. But Dad was wrong. He may be better compared to Derrick, but at least Derrick does not lie. About Vinnie. About Mom. About the world.
About me.
But he is dead now.
I glanced over towards her bed, to find Vinnie's wavy black hair sticking out above the blankets. Come on Vin. Turnover and let me see your eyes, those bright beautiful, blue eyes. Dad's eyes. I want to talk to her but I know that I have ruined my chance. She won't want to talk to me. Ever. The best sister of all time award definitely goes to Vanessa Fin Roberts.
"OK. If you don't want to talk, I-I understand," I whispered. I wasn't talking to Vinnie.
I crept to my room, and crawled under my sheets. I took a deep breath and examined my room. A picture with my best friend, Kim. A framed photo of me and Brendon Urie. I remember meeting him after a Panic! at the Disco concert. He was so pumped from preforming that he agreed to take a picture with me. That was the best day of my life.
I have a lot of jewelry, from trips to Niagara Falls, to Christmas four years ago. But all of this happened before. Before Dad passed. Now, there is Derrick. He is no Peter John Roberts, nor will he ever be.