Chapter Eight - Empty Tray

I felt someone lightly stroking my hair. I groaned and placed my hand over my head to make it stop. Then whoever it was grabbed my hand and held it tightly. I suddenly remember where I was and with who. My eyes shot open and I looked up. Sage, with an ugly grin, was holding my hand. For some reason my head was resting on his lap. I sat up immediately and curled up in the opposite corner of the car. "Sorry to wake you," he laughed quietly. "What happened? D-Did you do anything to me?" I started to ask questions. "Of course not! What would you think I've done?" He placed his head on his hand and smiled at me. "I don't want to think about that..." I looked out the window. As normal, Jack was driving the car. He seemed different though. He was tense and didn't dare move his eyes of the road ahead of him. "Anyway, you fainted after the... Incident." Sage sighed. "Incident? You called that a fucking incident!?" I snapped at him. "Jack are we almost home?" Sage asked. Jack nodded slightly. "F-Five m-m-miles a-away," Jack stuttered with every word. "Fun!" Sage laughed like a child and clapped his hands. I stared out the window and tried to recognize the place we where. My jaw dropped as I suddenly started to have memories of this place and the road we were driving on. I felt a sudden pain in my arm and then my vision started to be spotty. I looked over and saw Sage putting a needle into my arm. I didn't have time to react. My vision went black and I felt nothing. I just wanted to sleep.

I twisted and turned in my sleep, the blankets were wrinkled and half off the bed by now. I opened my eyes and realized I wasn't in a car. I was actually laying in a comfortable bed in a small room. I crossed my fingers and hoped all of this was just really all a dream. I did believed it was for awhile. I even recognize my room. It was my old room when I was a child around nine or so. I lived by the ocean, and I almost drowned once. That's why I had that reoccurring dream. It's also why my parents hate each other now. My mother always thought it was my father's fault. But the room was so comforting. The bed, the blankets, and the calming color of dark blue on the wall. It was all so nostalgic. I almost wanted to just lay back down and fall back to a deep sleep once again. But I knew if there was a chance that none of this really was a dream that I'd have to be cautious and not be lazy like I normally am. I got up and tip toed out of the room. I was so scared I just had to tip toe across the wood floor. The hallway outside of the room way long and narrow. There were two other bedrooms in the hall. I had to memorize all of this, just in case it would one day become important for me. My head was spinning suddenly and I put my hand on the wall to help mud walk. Memories of my old home flooded back as I stepped down the hall. Photos covered the walls. Photos of me. I saw one of my favorites. It was me holding a flower and smiling at the camera. I stepped on a creaky floor board. The creak echo throughout. "(Name)?" I heard someone say nearby. I continued on, slow. Once I reached the end of the hall I was in the living room. The wall painted yellow, and dark brown furniture was spread out in the room. In the middle of the room Sage sat drinking tea on the couch. He had on round glass, a black turtleneck, and was reading a newspaper. "Good morning (Name)," he said without looking up. "What's going on here?" I asked. "Nothing at all my dear! Come sit." He put down his things and stood up. "We need to talk," he took my hand and pulled me into the couch. He held my hands tightly and looked down at his shoes as if he was weighed down by something. For a second I had forgotten all that had happened and started to feel bad for him. "Are you okay?" I shifted uncomfortably. "Oh... You're (h/c) hair sparkles in the sunshine so perfectly!" He tried to touch my hair but I pushed his hand away. "Look, (Name), I feel like there's some... Tension between the two of us. And I just can't have that! Ask for anything! And i'll let you have it so this 'tensions' will go away," he seemed sincere. "Oh you don't-" I realized what was happening. I was being manipulated! "Let me go! Let me and Jack leave and then everything will be normal." I pulled my hands away from him. Sage seemed shocked at first, stunned almost. But then he smiled and started to laugh quietly. "Sooo so sooo close! I almost had you! But you know I can't do that!" He pinched my cheek and laughed. "Hungry?" He handed me a tray full of food that looked as if it appeared out of nowhere. It actually looked really appetizing, but I didn't know what he did to it or if he did at all. I might be a little paranoid but I need to be. I carefully picked up a small chocolate chip cookie from a sliver plate. I took a tiny bite, some small it was just a crumb to even a mouse. Sage smiled happily while starring at me. "Do you like it!?" He asked excitedly. I waited a moment to make sure I wasn't feeling dizzy or sick. For all I knew it was poisoned. But... Nothing happened. Suddenly my stomach growled loudly and I couldn't help but feel completely starved. Next thing I know i'm stuffing my face full of food from the tray. "Yay~! I'm so happy you're eating!" Sage hugged my waist. I just ignored him. I felt like an animal for eating so much, but I couldn't stop.

I felt so full that I might throw up. I know it's gross, but it's true. I felt sleepy. I guess because of the turkey. I was so tired I couldn't even think straight. I had lied my head on Sage's shoulder and watched the news on a big screen tv on the wall. "Today we have some very disturbing news. Police have discovered a small gas station near the city has been destroyed. Three men were killed in the gas station. They were killed while at work, investigators say they were probably killed sometime around noon. Investigators have also discovered even more disturbing evidence. The security cameras have revealed that the murders were the three missing teens that have been on the news recently. Sage, Jack, and (Name) have all been identified by there parents. Here is a picture of them and where they've been last seen. If you see them do not approach them. They could be armed and dangerous. Call 911 if you see this children. Now (Name)'s mother has a message for her teen." The news lady said. The screen then turned to a video of my mom talking directly to me. I perked up when I saw her face. "(Name) I love you! Please find me! Call me! Anything please! I-" Sage picked up the remote and turned off the tv. "The news these days," he chuckled softly. I was to sleepy to protest. Sage pushed me away a little and then stood up. I fell onto the couch but then he picked me up. I was carried back into the bedroom I had originally woken up in. Sage careful placed me down onto the bed and then covered me with a blanket. "Goodnight..."