Eros - Six: Sky Full of Stars

NYC, Spring. 2008

Richard laced his coffee with rum, hoping the warmth would reach his heart. Two divorces down the line, no children, just alimonies to pay. He wasn't broken-hearted, he just felt empty. When he met his first wife Alice, he liked that they shared the same interests, and she was easy to get along with. He enjoyed the intimacy, thinking if this was love then it must be over-rated. Where was all the hype coming from? At best he felt good that he was no longer alone, until he caught her in bed with someone else. She blamed him for her unfaithfulness, saying he was not capable of sharing himself with her, that he seemed wrapped up in a world of his own. They agreed to divorce without much fanfare.

Then Madison came, beautiful Maddie who was funny and child-like. He thought his chance at happiness finally came. Their best moments were in bed, when Maddie would pleasure him with her mouth and hands, her graceful body bucking above him as she enjoys climax after climax. But like Alice, Maddie found him lacking. He worked too hard, and although the sex was good, she wanted more than that. She wanted to have a connection with him, something he failed to give.

From out of nowhere, he thinks of Maine, and wonders how she is. She was 27 years old by now, most likely married with children. He wondered what she looked like, having last seen her when she was just seven years old. All he had of her were old pictures, communicating only through overseas calls once in a while when his parents called. Until even this stopped when her real father came.

"Penny for your thoughts."

She slides into the seat beside him on the counter, her fingers wrapped around her coffee mug. He glanced briefly at her and did a double take. She was the spitting image of Sister Charmaine, with her tawny eyes and caramel skin, the full lips and straight nose. Her reddish brown hair was up in a loose bun, with some tendrils framing her face.

"Remember me?" She asked with a smile.

Oh no. He thought long and hard but couldn't recall meeting her before now. He would surely remember her, but his mind was blank. He smiled and shook his head at her.

"I'm sorry, please don't be offended, but I can't seem to remember if we met already. Can you please refresh my memory?" She made a small wave of her hand, as if to dismiss what she said.

"Forget it, it was years ago. How are you now Richard?"

He looked at her, trying so hard to remember who she was. He should find it creepy that a beautiful stranger such as she would come out of nowhere, claiming she knew who he was. But he was drawn to her, and strange as it may sound, he did feel he knew her. He couldn't stop staring at her, and she seemed the same with him. Did he imagine it or was she staring at his mouth?

"I...I'm good, considering I just got divorced." He laughed at his awkwardness. Get a grip, man, you're not thirteen. Her eyes clouded, she looked like she was hurt with what he just said.

"Oh.....you've been married?"

"Yes, twice failed. Goodness, must be the rum in my coffee, why am I telling you this?"

She laughed out loud and without warning, pulled his coffee mug and tasted his coffee, right where his mouth was, looking at him mischievously while she sipped. By the time she returned his mug, her face was slightly flushed from consuming his spirited coffee.

"Wow. Strong stuff but really good, " She fanned herself with her hand. "Makes me want to reveal a few secrets of my own."

"Well, share with me your name for starters."

She hesitates, then with a slight nod reaches out a hand and gives him her name. "Dei. It's short for Andrea. Andrea Mendoza."

He takes her hand in his, feeling the jolt of electricity when they touched. They looked at each other in surprise, feeling the bond of familiarity wash over them. His grasp loosens, but only so his thumb can trace an arc over the back of her hand. His heart beats faster and stronger, as though the caffeine and alcohol were kicking in. But being the owner of a coffee chain, drinking several cups of coffee a day, he knew it was the woman in front of him kicking in his adrenalin, not the caffeine.