Sacrifice - Night

"Night is a time of rigor, but also of mercy. There are truths which one can see only when it's dark"

Kasoof Al-Shams had ended with their God leaving them to fight the devils off on their own. As Qamar rises to take its place, it illuminates the Land of Badr where a small group of people were gathered. With their swords sparkling in the moonlight, eyes focused and faces determined, they wait for the enemy to step foot in their land.

Buraq was with Meng so RJ had borrowed another one from the stables but he still was getting used to not having him. He was a gift from his Baba when RJ won his first sword fight and he trusted Buraq with his life.

He decided to address his people one last time as the ground trembles with the force at which the army was approaching them.

'My people!', his voice booms in the starry sky, 'Before we engage them in battle and embrace a death that we won't be ashamed of, I would just like to thank you for your trust in me. For being behind my back till the end. I couldn't have asked for a better tribe to lead even if for a short while. Shukraan'

As he watches each of them chanting Al-Haytham one last time, he knew he had accomplished everything in his life.

With a final look, he turns over on his horse and stares bravely ahead as the enemy comes into focus.

In front was Ameer Zakwan, closely followed by the Ameers of the other two tribes. And erasing even the possibility of any doubt in his mind was Meng, riding Buraq alongside him.

A few feet left between them, Ameer Zakwan climbs down from his black beast and looks at him with gleaming eyes. He was a tall squared face man that had evil written all over it.

'So we finally meet Al-Haytham', he says in his icy cold voice, dripping with sarcasm.

RJ doesn't reply or get down from his horse.

'I am really not here to fight.'

'Then please return back to Banu Saqib and give us time to prepare a more welcoming first meeting'

'Ah... Playing with words till the end, I see.. You really are one brave kid'

'If what you say is true then I don't have to anything to fear, right?', he calls out to him boldly.

Ameer Zakwan only gives him a smile, 'I like your guts, kid. Just like your Baba. If only he was here.'

RJ knew he was taunting him, hurting him where he knew the wound was still fresh. But he wasn't going to let him do that.

'Ameer, our armies are getting restless. If you do not wish to go to war, I ask you once again to return back'

Zakwan walks slowly in front of him, eyeing him curiously. After a minute, he turns back and goes towards his horse. RJ waits patiently.

'I have a proposition for you Al-Haytham', he addresses him after he settles himself on his horse.

'Surrender yourself and live'

'Under your thumb? No, we'll pass', RJ tells him without hesitation.

'I know you would say that but let's be a little rational, son', Zakwan moves his hand around everyone.

'You are standing alone in front of me with a mere hundred people behind you. Whereas I have an army of thousands. Another thousand is surrounding this land. You have no place to run to.'

He felt the people behind him gulp. Zakwan was getting through them, making them back off.

'If we had to run then we wouldn't have been standing in front you like this, Ameer. Do not underestimate Banu Qavi.'

'You are fighting a losing battle all alone Al-Haythaam. Turn around and see the fear in your people's eyes. They are no longer beside you'

But RJ doesn't want to. He knows their resolve has dissolved but he will not let Zakwan see him weak.

'I will give you an hour Al-Haytham. Talk with your people and decide. If you want to surrender and accept me as Ameer Al Umara, I would ignore this little rebellion. Otherwise', he touches his sword, hanging from his belt, 'I came prepared.'

And he signals his army who at once turn their horses around and leave, probably setting up camp somewhere nearby.

He lets the people talk amongst them while he silently watches. In his heart he knew they were going to surrender. Some might have joined him half-heartedly others as a sign of loyalty. But Banu Saqib had brought with them armies of the other three tribes as well. The sight alone had turned their hearts over but the prospect of another chance at life was enough to convince them that surrendering was the better option.

'Al-Haytham!', one of the Wazir cries, 'I represent the people of Banu Qavi. We know that we promised to stay by your side and fight till the end. We were ready to even kill our own wives and children so Banu Saqib cannot turn them into slaves, toy with them or torture them. But this proposal that has been presented.. We feel that it's a sign from God... He's giving us a chance to step down and escape his wrath.'

'What if Banu Saqib is lying? And they kill you anyway?'

'Al-Haytham, we do not have any guarantee. But he has let the other tribes live. If we accept Ameer Zakwan as our leader, maybe he'll spare us too.', another Wazir tries to make him understand, 'We can sign a treaty with them or..'

'Treaties are meant to be broken .You saw it with your very own eyes.'

He casts his eyes downwards, 'It's a risk we are willing to take. They are far greater in number. They'll finish us off in seconds.'

'Is there anyone who opposes this request?', RJ asks Banu Qavi. But minutes passed by and no one stepped forward. Not even Umar.

'I gave you the option that was indeed painful but quick. But if you have decided to die a slow death then I accept that. You supported me when I asked you. And now, is the time to show my faithfulness to you'. He steps down from his horse, now on the same level as his people.

'I will go and hand Ameer Zakwan my sword', he proclaims. None of them had the guts to look him in the eye. They knew they had disappointed him.

And he begins his journey on foot, as a defeated leader but with his head held up high to the enemy's camp. His glory days might have ended with the setting sun, but his dignity and pride would stay with him till his breath.