Chapter 2- Asher

"Eren..." Ash mumbled, his dark brown eyes fluttering open. The sight that greeted him was not at all familiar.

The walls were a plain white, and fluorescent lights hung from the ceiling. They were the typical kind you would see in schools, the rectangular type. He was lying on a hospital-style bed, which was not comfortable at all. Ash frowned, sitting up.

What...?

"Awake I see," a booming voice noted. A man in a lab coat stepped forward, and Asher gasped as everything from yesterday came rushing back. He suddenly felt very dizzy.

"Eren!" he yelled, looking around anxiously. Nothing. It was just him and lab coat man. "What did you do to him?!" the older twin growled at lab coat.

The man had the decency to look pitying. "What are you, 15? Shame, really." his voice wasn't low, and it had the drawl of a mad scientist. "I wanted to keep you with your brother- or was it twin? Yes your twin. I wanted to keep you with him, but in order to find you I had to make a deal with that black market trader."

The man who took Eren from him. Asher clenched his fists.

Eren. Asher reached out with his mind link, trying to connect them somehow. Why... why wasn't it working?! It was as if there was a wall of sharp diamonds, pushing them farther away, poking at their now fragile connection, threatening to break it into pieces.

Asher opened his mouth, about to start yelling at the man again, before he shut it abruptly. The stranger didn't need to know they had a mind link. He'd sort this out himself. He just needed time. Eren! He tried again. Bits and pieces clouded into his mind, like shards of ripped paper.

A familiar knife, blood. Eren must've tried to shift. But why was their connection still so weak?

Maybe if he knew where he was, he could figure out why their mind link wasn't working.

"Why am I here?" he demanded lowly, though he could already partially guess, "and where am I?"

The scientist laughed. "You're a strong spirited one! From the records I was given I heard you weren't! Ah well this makes everything more interesting!"

"I could care less about anything else," Asher hissed, "but my twin's a different story. Tell me where to find him, and let me go!"

The man in front of Asher grinned laughed again. "You're in NO position to be making such demands! This is my lab, unfortunately for you! Now, since you're stuck here, why don't we get to know each other?"

"How about no?" Asher snapped back. He stood up, fully intending to go punch the crazy scientist as hard as he could. The ladies at the orphanage hadn't taught them self defense, but he knew how to throw a punch. Maybe if he was lucky he'd knock the guy out. Before he could get any closer, however, the man whipped out a control and hit it. Asher gasped, falling to the ground as snakes of electricity hit him.

"Now now, no need to get violent! Just stay on the bed! I won't be seeing you for awhile after this anyway!"

"Thank god." Part of Asher secretly hoped this guy would drop him back home, but something told him that wasn't the case. Glancing down, he noticed a black band around his ankle. Probably where the shock had come from.

"Now, I'm Doctor Zuk. I'll be running tests on you and taking a few DNA samples, but for the most part you'll be asleep."

The brown-eyed twin stared at him. "What are you trying to find out about me?"

"Can't a scientist satisfy his curiosity?"

Asher reluctantly sat on the edge of the bed, realizing he had no choice. Hopefully they weren't planning on hurting him. Though he'd rather it be him hurt than Eren. Although, there was something else on his mind.

"What happens after you run tests? Will I see Eren again?" Asher asked. He normally wasn't one for constantly pressuring for information, but he figured this was an exception. After all, he'd just gotten separated from his twin, had no clue where he nor himself were, and was ripped away from his only home to be with this Dr. Zuk guy.

"Eren? I can't tell you anything about him." Dr. Zuk shrugged his shoulders.

Asher shot him a murderous glare. "Can you at least guarantee he's safe?"

"No," Dr. Zuk responded, completely unaffected by the anger rolling off of his test subject, "I can't guarantee safety if Xander's involved!"

Asher cursed, gripping the thin sheets on his little hospital cot. This was all his fault. If he'd been stronger, if he'd put Eren's safety before his... This would all be different.

"Now you're getting irritated. Well, we should start the testing now. I am sorry about separating you two, but all for science right?" Dr. Zuk laughed cheerfully. He pulled out a syringe, quickly jabbing it into Ash's arm.

"Oh, and what happens after I'm satisfied with my tests? Well, I'll just send you to your new owner of course! Even I don't know who it is currently. But they pay well," cackled the mad scientist.

Wait what? Fear shot through Asher's mind, before everything went dark. Again. Dammit...