First Day Back

Beep. Beep.
Groaning, I lift the covers off my bed. I lay looking at the ceiling for a while. Procrastination is what I excel at.
"Beatrice, I hope you're out of bed," my mother calls from downstairs.
I slug my way towards the bathroom. I look at myself in the mirror, my hair is a birds nest and there are huge dark circles surrounding my eyes. Attempting to scrape my hair into some resemblance of a ponytail, I hear Caleb yelling.
"Hurry up slow arse, other people need to use the bathroom too!" Caleb shouts.
"Sod off," I call back. Opening the door, I send Caleb a murderous glare. I hurry back to my room, throwing on a pair of jeans and a light grey blouse. Sniffing the air, I do a little happy dance. PANCAKES. Missing two stairs at a time a run as fast as my legs will take me to the kitchen, where a plate of steaming pancakes are waiting for me.
"Mum, did I ever mention how much I love you?" I ask her, she responds by rolling her eyes and handing me the maple syrup.
"Now remember, your father is on the council, so make sure to behave accordingly," my mother tells me steadily. I nod hastily before wolfing down my food, and am out of the door so I have ample time to walk to school. Arriving at the gates, I take a large breath. They're just normal kids I tell myself. Then I'm thrown to the ground as a hoard of kids come pushing through the gates. "Hey, are you okay?" A voice asks.