Nothing

Phil's Pov

The silence had been tense all evening. Although, I guess that's what you get for showing unannounced to your parents house in the middle of the night and not telling anyone why you're there. I just really didn't want to talk about it. Even thinking about it still made me want to burst into tears.

I hugged my pillow into my chest as I heard movement happening downstairs. I had been awake two nights in a row, but I barely felt tired. That was what I called the power of a broken heart.

I guess the problem was I had never expected this to happen. I've had many girlfriends and boyfriends before and I always knew any of them could cheat on me at any given point (some of them did).

But I had never expected Dan to do it.

We had been in a club, forced there by our friends who apparently thought catching up meant going to a place where you could barely hear what anyone was saying and where you'd probably get lost in the first five minutes of being there.

That had been the case for me, losing Dan completely two hours into the gathering and trying really hard not to freak out as I frantically searched for him, thoughts of the other times I'd lost him in a crowd flooding my mind.

I expected him to be talking to one of our friends or sat in a corner by himself or even dancing, as weird as that would have been. What I didn't expect was to find him kissing another guy.

And not in a chaste way either, the guy's hands were circling Dan's waist as he pushed him against a wall. They looked like they were going to get it on right there and then.

Looking back on it maybe I should have made a scene, but I didn't. I just cried in the bathroom for about an hour before I got a text from Dan asking to go home.

While in the taxi, all I could think about was I had to talk to him about it. Confront him. Make him explain. It was a great plan. Except when we got home, Dan immediately collapsed into his bed.

I decided that maybe it was for the best, since then I could calm down and approach the issue in an objective way.

As it turned out, it was kinda hard to approach an issue calmly when someone continued to lie to your face for an entire day.

Every time I brought up the party, Dan just smiled and said how much fun it had been, even with his ongoing hangover. I had expected him to look even just a bit guilty about what he had done, but he didn't show signs of even acknowledging he had done something wrong.

The last straw was when we were having dinner. We were eating pizza and had something playing on the TV for background noise but I couldn't stop looking at Dan, wondering just how could he cheat on me and act like absolutely nothing had happened. I decided to test the waters once more and ask a question that would surely make him feel a little guilty.

"So... who were you with at the party? Meet anyone interesting?"

"Hmm... No, I don't think I talked to anyone else besides you."

That made it for me. I started yelling and as bad as I felt, my anger was bigger than anything else. Now, looking back on it, I almost wished I had just forgiven him, flashbacks of Dan crying as I left still haunting me every so often.

I hid my head inside the covers as I heard steps coming towards my room. I really didn't want to talk to anybody right now.

"Phil?" My mom asked when she finally came into a stop in front of my door. I made no sound, hoping she'd believe I was asleep and would leave me alone. After a few seconds I heard her sigh and leave, her steps becoming quieter and quieter as she got farther away from my room.