Real

*Dan's POV*

I was sat in the same old spot as always, my head stuck in the same old notebook. I had been trying to get this book going for a while now, but I didn't seem to find the right story to tell. All I had was the main character, which, I would admit, had been created to fulfill the expectations I had about my less than successful love life.

I had created him exactly how I would want my partner to be, both physically and mentally. He was tall, with black hair and blue eyes that I would describe as an ocean you could get lost in every time you looked at them. He was sweet and good, and he always cared for others more than he cared for himself, no matter how much the other person had hurt him. He tried his best in everything he did and never gave up, simply trying again if he wasn't successful the first time. He was a gentle lover, with a huge passion for all living things.

Most importantly, he was in love with me.

The problem was I couldn't write myself into the story. It just wasn't happening. I could never write myself in and make a believable love story. Simply because I didn't believe someone like him could fall in love with someone like me, even in fiction.

So I created character after character, trying to make a perfect match for him, someone who would guarantee a happy ending. It seemed, however, that said character was not meant to exist. Time after time, the stories I wrote all ended in disaster, and I didn't know if it was because I was subconsciously trying to keep other people away from him or in some way he had a life of his own and had decided to make mine miserable.

In any case, it wasn't working, and as I took another sip of my coffee that was long cold, I decided that maybe this story was doomed from the start. That maybe I was supposed to change the character in its entirety. I had written many books before this and was pretty well known by now, and creating a story had never been so hard. It was, in a way, like the character was alive, as they always were, and I was just not writing the story he wanted me to write.

I sound crazy, I thought, eyeing the people around me, in hopes of someone giving me the inspiration I so desperately needed. There weren't many people around, a strange sight in this usually crowded café. The waiter was animously talking with an old couple in the right corner of the restaurant, and there was a bunch of girls seated on a table by the door, but aside from that, the café was empty.

Empty like my head, I scolded myself in my mind. Frustrated, I took my pen from where I had left it on the table and started scribbling furiously.

"You know, it'd be good if you stopped being an asshole and actually maintained a relationship with one of the people I pair you with." I said, angrily looking at the man that haunted my dreams and my thoughts alike.

Without even thinking, I scribbled a response to that first message, this time from the character's perspective.

"And it'd be good if you actually wrote in someone I can fall in love with." He answered, scoffing and glaring at me through his black fringe.

I didn't know where that had come from. This didn't sound like the character I'd created. He would have never been so blunt or so childish. He would have been nice and soft in telling me I'd definitely make it next time I tried. This sounded like an actual person was talking to me through the letters I had written myself.

I decided to test it once again and wrote another sentence, this time much more calm and collected.