"Get out of my way"

From warleggan .....
New anger grew in him, one wave overtoppling the last. ‘Please get out of my way.’ For a moment she did not move, watching him, striving to see. ‘Always – always I had thought . . . I had never thought it would be like this . . .’ There was anger within her too, responding to his, striving to form itself. But as yet she would not let it. ‘Don’t you see, Ross, that you cannot go. For if you do . . . Meaning what you do . . .’ Although she barred his way, her white figure seemed already withdrawn, a little unreal. He tried to force himself to make some move, some affectionate gesture towards her. But for the first time he failed. The spectre of Elizabeth was immovably between them, more real, more tangible to his hurt than Demelza. She saw that she could not stop him. He could not stop himself. This was something fundamental. She stepped out of his way. He mounted his horse and clattered out of the cobbled yard.
.........................................................
Demelza, stared out into the darkness and watched as her husband galloped in haste, no, in complete uncontrollable haste, towards his first love, to his only real love.
She stood frozen her feet immovable from their place in the yard, and as much as every part of a sudden thought was destroying her internally piece by piece , she thought , at least he had finally chosen.

Tears were starting to swell behind her eyes, her chest pummeled from within, she took a sharp breath...all they had endured together, the life they had built together.
Had she not been raised from a child, governed to be the wife he had wanted her to be?  worked tirelessly to provide , care and submit to his decisions, both good and bad?
Had they not laughed together, cried together, grieved together, mended together, lived this life together?
Now he was happy to destroy all of that by finally succumbing to the pull on the piece of his heart that Elizabeth had always possessed?

Demelza looked back at Nampara. Their home, their haven. She thought of their son sleeping soundly in sweet dreams, sheltered from the reality of the night.
The bitter cold air wrapped itself around her as she contemplated how all of what she looked at was soon, if not already, to dissolve around her.

"How dare he?" She vexed into the night, with sorrow suddenly merging into the anger she had held in just moments ago.
She paced over to another mount, one Verity had bestowed upon them during her last visit, quickly saddled the horse as Jane appeared at the door quizzical " listen out for Jeremy I must go" was all she could say as she kicked the horse into motion.

If Ross will chase after his first love, thought Demelza, then I must chase after mine.
After all, when had Demelza ever stayed away from matters when Ross had asked her to, what should he expect?