Stitches and Tea

Demelza awoke to the sound of Jeremy's laughter, it had been two days since the night of the storm, she cautiously manoeuvred herself so she was sat up in bed with a direct view out into the courtyard.
The sun must've been up not an hour yet John and Jane were busy at work, John tending to the chickens and drawing water ready for breakfast. Jane occupying master Jeremy most likely with his latest, wooden toy blocks.
Demelza stretched, her body felt wooden and foreign.
As she peeled back the quilt, the evidence of the storm was written all over her body, large black purplish bruises marking her up and down her legs.
A large cut scaled up her left calf, and deep throbbing continued in her right hip.
Under further investigation it was found best for Demelza to wear her left arm in a support for at least 2 weeks as Dwight was sure she had sprained her elbow; that must've been my foolish attempt at clambering the rocks demelza thought to herself.
She got to her feet and tentatively edged over to the mirror, still in her night dress , her hair was tied up messily with the bun hanging to one side and a few ringlets escaping down her shoulder. She lifted her free arm and traced the stitches on her head with her fingertips , still sore to touch. Staring at herself , she looked gaunt and a black circle shaded her right eye and cheek with small cuts and scabs trailing down to her jawline neck and shoulders. She frowned at herself and sighed.
" you are still my beautiful love, no amount of bruises or bandages will change that my darling" Ross appeared in the doorway, his shirt dishevelled but tucked in and his usual untamed hair framing his face, he stood holding a tray of tea for them both.
"You shouldn't be up on your feet,you heard what Dwight said." Ross said.
"Ay, but Surely you don't expect me to stay in bed all day, do ye not know me Ross Poldark" Demelza teased.
He smiled at her strength, she had never been one to sit around.
" I promised him I would listen to his orders so back to bed rest for you. It's only one more day until he will return to check on you, then we can discuss getting you mobile again."
Demelza huffed, suddenly feeling the weight of her own body using her free hand, steadied herself against the dresser. She hated feeling defeated.
"yes Ross I suppose I should follow Dwights direction, I just feel so useless," Ross aided her back to bed.
"My love, have you not cared for Jeremy and I these past years, even Prudie and Jud when they were with us, and your father and family before that, I cannot begin to tell you how I have seen the error of my ways and now ...it is my turn to care for you." And with saying that past her ,her tea.
"Thank you, dare I say I shall not get too comfy else I will want to remain a lady of leisure just like,,"Demelza's smile faded as she realised who she was referring to ,the tinge of sadness still between them.
Ross came closer and perched at the side of her resting his hand on her leg, " I beg you Demelza, you said you were not ready to discuss these matters and I wish you well, but if I can lift the pain in your heart and reassure you of how I feel." " ok Ross, what do you need to say," Demelza have him his chance to speak, he paused ready to begin.  "though my foolish heart does not deserve your forgiveness; my foolish heart has only room for you, I know that fervently. There is no one else; for a long time a young boyish dream still hovered in the darkest parts of my heart clutching onto a whimsical once had love ... a what if..."  Demelza looked away as she was frightful of crying, "but please, my Love, your love has overpowered me, and I cannot condone my actions with Elizabeth- I want to let you know that in that kiss that stupid mistake I realised that that is all she was , a past dream and you, my gorgeous stubborn, defiant, industrious, rough diamond are my reality and...." Ross moved her cheek gently so that she was looking directly into his eyes once more, into his soul.
"And I never want to make you feel any less than my everything ever again. Demelza you taught me how to love and be loved."
A tear ran down her cheek and her bottom lip quivered.
Ross held his hand against her cheek softly wiping away the tear. They sat there in silence until Demelza said,
"I want to forgive ye, but my heart is still conflicted Ross, I cannot tell you how hard it hast been these few months with watching you run to her every beckon, whilst I be grieving over Our Julia and trying to raise Jeremy and keep Nampara from burying," Demelzas breath hitches in sadness.
" my dear I regret my judgements so much I cannot change the past but please, can we agree that I am a bad husband and a bad father and I have made some foolish foolish decisions of late? But, I will strive to be better for you for Our Jeremy and maybe you can grow to love me again as I do you" Ross questioned.
" Ross, you be not a bad husband, or a bad father , yes you make bad decisions but you are loving and hard working and driven and those are all the things I fell in love with when you were my master and even deeper when you were my husband, how can I not love you, i hated you that evening hated you for betraying me- but loving you well, it's all I've known," Demelza stared back with conviction. " just promise me, .... promise me... that from here on out you remain loyal and though I be not as educated as you , I want to help with your ventures, I am sick of sitting on the sidelines, I want to be at your side, not wondering what time you will be home or whether you'll be home at all.. be there for Jeremy and be there for me, I deserve your attention, after all I  your wife Ross, I have tried to be the woman you needed me to be, can you be the man I need you to be?"
" Demelza I promise I promise, I have lost focus but nearly losing you to that watery grave has refocused me, mind heart and body, you are more than ever the woman I need," he paused now with a cocky smile trying to lighten the mood , "can we bandage up our life as Dwight bandaged up your head ?" Ross teased.
Demelza scoffed, " if you are willing then I am willing, we did vow forever did we not."
"Indeed," Ross replied, "but Demelza, though I may have taught you to read, or to write, it is you that hath educated me, remember that my dear, and I want you at my side, like you were as a teen climbing up those trees and cutting down the fields, then as a woman, facing your fears and entering a new society like you were made for it, bearing my children, I will not take you for granted again I promise ." he lent in rubbing his nose against hers " I am so sorry , and I love you." He closed his eyes breathing her in.
Demelza indulging in his closeness " I forgive you, and I love you too ... kiss me Ross"
He obliged a gentle kiss, sharing so much emotion. Frustration, forgiveness, sorrow , love and lust, with quickening breath Ross hugged her nuzzling into her neck to which Demelza sighed and lent towards him, unfortunately with her one arm in a sling and her free hand still grappling the tea cup that was in danger of spilling at any moment,
Her stomach began to rumble, " ah- that maybe be a problem we need to fix, and I dare say you want tea stains all over the sheets, or do you?" Ross winked, " Jane! Jane! Please can you bring Demelza and I some breakfast, and bring Jeremy up too, it's a fine morning for breakfast in bed" he turned and smiled at Demelza " as a family " he smiled. "As a family" she echoed.