Chapter 20

The next few weeks went by, without further drama for any of us. Eric was working late almost every day, analyzing footage and trying to come up with a suitable plan, to raid the abandoned warehouses.

Whoever said "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned", never met Eric on one of his missions to seek revenge.

So I spend my days with whoever of my friends was off work, mostly Belle, Uriah or Tris, who was suffering because of her pregnancy, before meeting Eric for lunch, if he was free. It was the only time at day, when I was able to see him, before he woke me up in the middle of the night, as he slipped into bed, since he was always gone in the early hours of the day.

I was still working through all the folders, I received for my ambassador training. Knowing I wouldn't have much time, after my baby was born, I tried to internalize as much of the given information, as possible.

Christina was true to her word and hosted a celebration in honor of the both of us. She somehow managed to squeeze me into another tight dress, much to Eric's delight, who was wearing a tux, much to mine.

The festivities were held in one of the conference rooms, that she decorated accordingly, while all our friends and colleagues mingled with each other, drinking and laughing.

They even somehow managed to invite Adrian, who arrived with a large grin on his face, congratulating us both with a hug.

He had somehow been able to sneak his way into my heart, with his strange attics and his sarcastic humor, and I strongly assumed, I wasn't the only one.

Where I used to see resentment and disdain from Eric's side and arrogance on Adrian's, there was now something, that displayed, that they indeed shared a brotherly bond, no matter how small it was.

Adrian reminded me as we made small talk, that I had another ultrasound in a few days. Being 27 weeks, I was starting to feel really tired after standing short periods of time, so Eric ushered me home after three hours and leaving regretfully to the control room, since there had been new sightings of factionless.

.

.

.

So I found myself a few days later, walking to the infirmary on my own. Eric had once again been called this morning to lead an expedition group, to investigate an abandoned warehouse close to the merciless mart, in candor.

It was most unlikely that he would come back in time, as I had learned the last few weeks, so I had to do the examination on my own.

One of the nurses, I used to work with, draw my blood and took my weight and vitals, before guiding me to the room and telling me to prepare myself.

As I lay there, staring at the white ceiling, I was reminded of my first ultrasound.

The first shared moment with Eric, the first moment ever, when I was able to envision a future with him, even when the foreboding anger of my brother scared me, from hindsight, everything was worth it.

My child will be worth it.

I hadn't had to wait too long, before Adrian walked into the room. He greeted me with the obligatory hug, before he busied himself on the machine.

"So I take it, Eric won't be here today?" He asked after a few minutes.

"He wanted to, but he had to go on a patrol near Candor, so it's highly unlikely that he will make it. They're usually out there the whole day." I informed him sadly.

Hearing my sadness, Adrian rolled towards me on his little chair, grabbing my hand.

"Don't worry, they will soon have them under control again."