You Again

Edited 12-18-2022

      *Conner's POV*

        An early snowfall came during the night, covering the once dying Earth in a cold blanket of white. Adjusting my hood to cover more of my face, I made my way to the stables. Stepping into the warmth of the shelter, I made my way up to the dapple-grey stallion, who eagerly neighed and kicked his stall door.

        "Easy Arion." I cooed to the horse, petting his soft black nose. His ears tilted forward as his eyes sparkled with excitement. Grasping the bridle next to Ash's stall, I slipped the bit into his mouth before opening the door and leading him out. Tying his reigns to a pole, I hurried to the tack room to grab his saddle. Grabbing the black saddle, the blue blanket, and the black chest collar, I walked back over to the impatient stallion.

      I flung the blanket over his dark grey back and the saddle. After getting him all tacked up, I easily pulled myself onto his back. Ash lifted his front feet into the air, rearing and throwing his head before bolting out of the stable. Leaning slightly on his neck, I ran away from the Homestead and into the Frontier. I heard my steed's hoof beats hit the frozen ground and his heavy breathing, leaving white vapor in the air before disappearing completely.

      Trees flashed past me as I rode down the dirt road. My mind was a blank, only concentrating on the road ahead of me. Looking down at the quickly passing ground, my thoughts wondered to everything that had happened to me. My village and my mother burned, meeting Achilles and becoming an assassin. My life seriously took a turn to what I thought it'd be. So many strangle things happen. Things we'd never imagine seeing or hearing.

       Without warning, I felt Arion push his front legs out in front of him, causing me to lurch forward. I would have been flying off him if I hadn't squeezed my legs tighter and grabbed Arion's long black mane. Shooting glances all around me, I tightened my grip on the reigns. Arion threw his head up, his nostrils flaring, and his ears were pinned to his neck. The white of his eyes showed as he nervously stammered in place.

       "Ssshhh" I patted the horse's neck, still looking around me. Slowly reaching to my belt, I grabbed a throwing knife and waited for whatever spooked my horse.

        The wind brushed rushed through the trees, rustling Arion's mane and chilling my already numbing cheeks. A low grunting noise could be heard off into the distance. Furrowing my eyebrows, I swung my leg over Ash's back, sliding out of the saddle. Leading Arion over to a tree, I tied the reins around the tree. Patting his neck, I slowly walked towards the sound, putting away throwing knife and unsheathed my tomahawk. Heavy breathing and grunts could be heard about a few yards away. Walking towards a bush, I crouched in it, blending with the area around me.

       Just ahead of me, a giant wolf was slowly pawing at the ground. A pile of dirt surrounded the area around the wolf. Glancing at the wolf, I noticed that its big grey paws were tainted with red, and its black pads were covered in blood and dirt. Glancing beside the wolf, I saw another wolf laying on the ground unmoving. Letting out a small sigh, I drew my eyes away from the dead wolf and back on the bigger one. The wolf looked oddly familiar, the way it towered over the other wolves I've seen around these parts and its unique coloring and markings. I pondered about this, digging into my brain, trying to find out where I knew these wolves. Then it clicked. Yesterday. Yesterday, I saw this wolf hovering over the dead one.

     The wolf suddenly stopped its digging. It lifted its head as its reddish brown ears twitched. Slowly, the creature's big head slowly turned to my direction, and its dark green eyes stared at the bush at me. Subconsciously, I slowly sheathed my tomahawk and gently rose up out of the bush, my hands out in front of me showing the wolf my palms.

         It's dull, tired green eyes bore into my own. No light or life was left in it as it stared blankly at me.

    "It's okay... boy." I said, not sure what gender the wolf was. The wolf lifted its lips up, letting out a deep, quiet growl. "Girl...  It's okay, girl. I'm not going to hurt you." I cooed, trying to ease the wolf.  She only kept glaring at me and slowly took a step away from me and closer to the fallen wolf. Blood stained the snow where she walked. "I'm sorry about your friend over there."  I saw the wolf visibly cringed and close her eyes, her head drooping. This wolf shows more emotion than I've ever seen a wolf show before. I didn't even know they did show this much. Looking back at what the wolf had been doing, I finally understood what she was doing. She's trying to bury her friend to the point where her feet were worn out and bleeding. In some ways, I knew how she was feeling.

     "Is that your friend?" I asked the wolf. I wasn't even sure why I asked. Wolves don't understand English. The wolf looked at the dead one before looking back at me and shaking her head. Shocked that she was actually interacting with me, I looked back at the wolf. "Family?" I asked almost shyly. The wolf dropped her head and softly nodded. I let out a sigh, glancing at the dead wolf. As strange as it sounds, I know how this wolf was feeling. Loosing a family member and wanting to do whatever you could to for them; even when they were not here anymore.

       The green-eyed wolf watched me for a while before letting out a deep breath, turning back to the hole in the ground. She started to dig into the earth again, her efforts barely making a dent into the freezing ground. Turning to walk away, I took one more glance behind my shoulder to see the wolf had stopped to look at me. Seeing me watching her, she went back to digging.

          Walking back to Arion, I untied his reins and swung them back over his neck. Riding back to the Homestead, my mind wondered back to the wolf. I think it's safe to say that that wolf is the most interesting creature I have seen so far.

(The horse picture is what Ash looks like.)