Part 1

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 1

 Steve glanced around the room at the stacks of boxes that seemed to cover every surface. He hated to work on weekends but this was above and beyond. He almost wished he'd agreed to go with Katherine and his mom over to Maui. Anything would have been better than this.

Danny leaned back in his chair and looked over at him. "Why did the governor suddenly ask for it now? The only good thing about this is that it keeps me from going stir crazy."

Steve paused in his attempt to sort and looked across the desk at his partner. "Not your weekend with Grace, huh?"

"Not anymore. Stan boy convinced Rachel that some fancy play would be so wonderful for Grace that it was more important than my weekend with her."

Steve looked back down at his pile. "I thought we were going paperless. How did we manage to collect all this?"

Danny tossed a stack into another box. "Paper happens."

Kono snickered from across the room. She and Chin were digging through their own assorted collections.

Steve sighed and stared at the same piece of paper again. "So how are you supposed to decide what needs to go to archives? Is there some magical formula?"

Danny dropped another stack of paper in a box and looked up at Steve. "Are you trying to tell me that in all your years in the Navy they didn't make you file your paper work? What did you do with all of it?"

"Wasn't my worry." He looked down at a small scrap. "Okay, what about this?"

"What is it?"

Steve squinted at the faded print. "A receipt for Shaved Ice from Kamekona's."

Danny grinned and grabbed up a stack of similar scraps. He wadded them into a tight ball and held it up. "How many of those do you think we have now?" He admired his creation for a moment. "Don't need them." He aimed for the wastebasket on the other side of Steve.

Steve couldn't resist. He blocked the shot and it bounced away. He laughed. "Can't get by me that easy."

Danny threw up his hands with and over-exaggerated sigh. "How am I supposed to get by a wall like you!"

Chin and Kono both laughed. Kono spun around in her chair. "Ya, we could call it Steve!"

Danny frowned. "Oh, so that's the way it is." He grabbed up another pile and wadded it into a new ball. He got up and pretended to dribble it toward the basket.

Steve grinned and slid off the edge of the desk, grateful for even a slight diversion. He crouched and spread his arms wide. Danny spun around, protecting his paper ball from Steve's wide reach.

The phone in Steve's pocket rang. He ignored it for a moment as Danny tried to push past.

Danny glanced over his shoulder. "Hey, your pocket is paging you! You gonna get that?"

Steve pulled the phone from his pocket and glanced at the screen. The caller ID read 'unknown'. That was never a good thing.

Danny made use of the brief distraction and snuck by, slamming the paper wad into the waste can. "Score!"

Steve ignored him and hit the answer key. "McGarrett."

"Steve?" The voice sounded strained.

He paused a moment before realizing who the caller was. "Paul!" He couldn't keep the grin off his face. "How the heck are ya?"