Part 5

Danny was afraid to ask. He leaned back and tried to relax. It didn't work. He risked a glance in Steve's direction. His face was stone, very pale stone. He wasn't speeding, just driving.

Danny glanced out the window. They were coming up on the H1.

Steve's finger's started tapping on the steering wheel. That wasn't a good sign. Steve's phone rang and he hit the speaker button. "McGarrett."

"Steve."

"Chin! Talk to me. Tell me you have some thing."

There was someone talking in the background and Danny could hear Chin tell someone to make sure and give something to a mother. "Sorry, had a minor to deal with. The boys are headed for Sand Island. They're meeting time is four PM."

Danny glanced at his watch. "That's less than twenty minutes from now." He felt Steve speed up as they hit the on ramp. He heard the sirens go and saw the flash of their lights reflected on the back of the car in front of them. "Please let them get out of the way."

Steve ignored him. "Chin. Call Kono and tell her where the party is. Then give the heads up to H.P.D. so we can get back up rolling."

"Got it! I've uploaded a scan of the map the boys were using but it's pretty vague."

"The only good news is that it's Sunday."

Danny tried not to look as Steve dodged vehicles trying to get out of their way. "And why would that be?"

"Less shipping traffic."

Chin got is attention again. "Sam's little sister said he had something pretty chunky in a pillow case."

"I know."

Danny looked over at him. "You do?"

Chin signed off and disconnected.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Steve glanced over at him for a split second. "All that and you still don't get it?"

Danny came to a sudden connection. He swallowed. "You mean the boys have it?"

"Yes, Danny, the boys have an urn."

Danny felt his stomach heaving, and for once, he couldn't tell if it was Steve's driving or the thought of what the boys had. "That's gross! What do they want with a dead guy in a can?"

"My guess is money."

Steve moved into the exit lane for the Nimitz. Danny just couldn't fathom that. "Who would pay money for that?"

"Any number of high end collectors."

"Just something to sit on the mantle piece back home, huh? It would be a great conversation starter."

Steve turned off onto the Sand Island Access. The traffic thinned out and Danny didn't even want to glance over at the speedometer. He could see the veins sticking out on Steve's neck. A thought struck him. "Is this a personal thing, or something?"

"Yes."

"I'm glad we clarified that." Danny was sure he felt the wheels leave the road surface as they came over the bridge.

Steve actually slowed down. "Pull up the map from Chin. See which warehouse complex we're looking for."

Danny sighed and pulled out his phone. He hated the thing but it had its value. He found the image. He looked around. "Could be the next on your left."

"Could be?"

"Look, I don't have a magic gut like you do. It's not the most detailed map, you know."

"Sorry."

Danny looked over at him. "Did I actually hear that come out of your mouth?"

Steve was silent for a moment as he turned into the shipping yard. "After the attack, while they were trying to salvage as much as they could from her, some of the bodies were recovered. They were later replaced in urns and put back in the ship. It became a statement of honor for the survivors to have their remains interned with their shipmates who died that day."

Danny sighed. "Your grandfather died on that ship, didn't he?"

Steve didn't answer. "I think I've found them."

Danny looked around the yard filled with buildings and stacks of shipping containers. "How do you know?"

"You don't often see a limo parked out here."

* * *

Tom leaned as far back into the crack as he could get. He could see Sam where he crouched with the thing in the pillowcase. Sam hadn't even let him see it. He didn't care. He just wanted to get rid of it and figure out how to get off the island before the cops found them. He pushed the tears out of his vision.

Sam looked over at him. He looked as scared as he was.

The man outside paced back and forth. He called again. "Come on boys. I thought we had a deal. I've got your money right here." He patted a bag sitting on the roof of the limo.

Sam whispered across the gap between them. "Do you still think it's a trick?"

"I don't know any more." He leaned his head back against the box behind him. "I wish we'd never done this."

"Tom! We need the money!"

Jeremy had needed the money, too. Now he was dead. "What if he double crosses us?"

The man in the fancy black suit sighed. "I'd hate to have to tell my employer that I came all this way and didn't get what he ordered. That could be a very bad mark on your sellers rating."

Tom closed his eyes. "Fine! Let's get this over with." He opened them as Sam began moving from his spot.

* * *

Danny crouched behind the large metal cylinder next to Steve and hoped it didn't contain something explosive. He looked up at Steve, who was peering through the thermal glasses.

Steve tapped at his earpiece. "Chin, are you and Kono in place?"

His own earpiece buzzed. "We're ready."

Steve tensed and dropped the lenses. He pulled out his piece.

Danny spun around. "What are you doing? These are kids! You can't shoot them!"

Steve fired once and something fell from the roof. The pling of bullets echoed from the other side of the cylinder.

Danny gasped and looked over at Steve. "How do you do it? You really are a serious danger magnet!"

Steve was too busy laying down fire. "Chin! Can you still see them?"

"I've still got them on scope. They've ducked back down."

"Danny and I will draw their fire. Get those boys out of there."

Danny whirled around the other side of the cylinder and began laying down a spread of bullets in what appeared to be the opposite direction the other ones were coming from. He glanced over at Steve. "Thank you so much for letting me in on the plan."

Steve didn't even turn to look at him. "You're welcome."

Danny saw the movement out of the corner of his eye. He didn't have time to say anything. He jumped the length of the cylinder and flattened Steve under his own weight then shot the guy.

Every thing around them was quiet. Steve looked up at him. "Was that really necessary?"

Danny looked at the cylinder and pointed to the mark the slug had made. Steve's body had been there just moments before. He looked down at Steve. "Yes, it was. For your information, in order to get a room in one of those cans, you got to be a lot older."

Steve started shaking. Danny hoped he was laughing buthe wasn't sure.