Preface

Crooked Smile: Preface

If you want to make a phone call to overseas you have to book the call and wait for the operator to get back to you.

There is no internet and no cellphones.

And two guys are about to form a computer company. They'll give it a funny name: Apple...

1976

In school, 17-year-old Marilyn suffers from mistreatment. You would say she is bullied.

When you are bullied, you are told to report to a superior, a teacher or a parent.

But in 1976, Marilyn can report to no one. She wouldn't even know what to report. There is no word yet for what is happening to her, let alone interest, understanding or a solution.

What should she say? Teacher, my classmates tease me. Teacher, they call me names. Teacher, they are mean to me. Teacher, do something about it!

In 1976, teachers consider those things problems that students should solve among themselves.

And if they were to listen to her, they would most likely find fault with Marilyn. After all, if everyone dislikes her, there must be a reason. The treatment she is receiving is most likely the deserved reaction of her classmates to some unsociable behaviour on her part. She will learn from it and become a better person.

Or she just happens to be an omega chicken, someone who was born to be picked on by others, someone who is weak.

And if they were willing to listen, and willing to accept that she is mistreated unfairly, they wouldn't know what to do about it. And no one likes to spend their time dwelling on problems they can't solve. They'd tell her that that happens to everyone now and then, and that it will go away by itself. And after all, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

Another 20 years will still have to pass before this view will be questioned.

In 1976 Michael Jackson is an aging child star with a faltering career. The times when the brothers would be chart breakers seem long gone and gone for good. The band of the year is ABBA. To have any chance to make a comeback, they decided to break with Motown the previous year and sign a new contract with Epic Records. But Motown doesn't prove helpful. While unable to offer a solution for the career problems of the Jackson 5, Motown is unwilling to just let the brothers go...

~~~~~

"Crooked Smile" is a Requested Story for Marilyn Edmond.

I hope, she will like it. :)

Much Love,

RedBird¹³ <33

mjmoonwalkerawards