Prophet Muhammad [pbuh] - A Mercy For Mankind

Intelligence demands that one must always look at a situation from different angles. Without fail, it broadens the mind, offers solutions and inculcates deeper understanding. New horizons are discovered and misconceptions shrink away. We as Muslims invite you to examine things from a different point of view. We invite you to set all pre-conceived notions, inherited ideas and frequently heard clichés to one side and give this a fair, broad-minded, democratic hearing.

Let us tell you something about the man, Muhammad (peace be upon him) that the Danish press didn't. By the end of this article that consists mostly of quotes from non-Muslim writers,historians, Nobel Prize winners and the likes, you will be more than amazed. We believe, and have done so for 14 centuries, that every human deserves to hear about this man - a man who perfected humanity, yet was perfectly human.

The world has not hesitated to raise to divinity, individuals whose lives and missions have been lost in legend. Historically speaking, none of these legends achieved even a fraction of what Muhammad [pbuh] accomplished. And all his striving was for the sole purpose of uniting mankind for the worship of One God on the codes of moral excellence.

Muhammad [pbuh] or his followers never at any time claimed that he was a Son of God or the God-incarnate or a man with divinity - but he always was and is even today considered as only a Messenger chosen by God. He continues to inspire faith in more than a billion men and women. Vouched for as the "Most historical of all religious personalities" by Encyclopedia Britannica, it is an accepted fact that every event of his personal and public life has been immaculately recorded, even the minutestdetails preserved conscientiously for posterity. His life and works are not shrouded in mystery or doubt but open for all to study. Yet it is sad that instead of the truth becoming clearer with the growth in information and communication, many a times, fabrication overshadows and outspreads the truth.

As Thomas Carlyle, the author of Heroes and Hero-worship admits: "The lies which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man (Muhammad) are disgraceful to ourselves only

So let us see who Muhammad [pbuh] really was, what was it about this man that he is accepted as the greatest sample of humanity by friends and foes alike. So many aspects of greatness did he cover, so many roles did he excel at, that it is difficult to summarize a lifetime of character in a few lines.

K. S. Ramakrishna Rao a professing Hindu, writes in his book 'Muhammad, The Prophet of Islam':

"There is Muhammad, the Prophet. There is Muhammad, the Warrior Muhammad, the Businessman; Muhammad, the Reformer; Muhammad, the Orator;Muhammad, the Refuge of orphans; Muhammad, the Protector of slaves; Muhammad, the Emancipator of women; Muhammad, the Judge; Muhammad, the Saint. All, in all thesemagnificent roles, in all these departments of human activities, he is alike a hero."

Not a god, nor supernatural, not an angel nor omnipresent nor all-knowing, he was simply the servant of God and His Messenger.

In the words of Edward Gibbon and Simon Ockley, in the 'History of the Saracen Empire': "I believe in one God, and Mahomet, the Apostle of God,' is the simple and invariable profession of Islam. The intellectual image of the Deity has never been degraded by any visible idol: the honors of the prophet have never transgressed the measure of human virtue: and his living precepts have restrained the gratitude of his disciples within the bounds of reason and religion."

Muhammad : The Praise Worthy

That is what Muhammad means-the one who is praised and the past and present have witnessed how people from all walks of life have praised him. Even his enemies could not deny his excellent qualities. When his enemy, Abu Sufyan was summoned by Heraclius to his court and questioned about the Prophet [saw], he was forced to admit his virtues. Even the Jews and those who did not believe in his message would come to him for arbitration in their disputes due to his justice and honesty. He was named "Al-Ameen' 'The Trustworthy' and 'As-Sadiq' 'The Truthful' by his contemporaries. Even after centuries people admit his sterling qualities.