Blessings & Peace

Sending Blessings & Peace Upon the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w)

The Last Messenger of Allah, Muhammad (s.a.w) is the greatest benefactor of humanity and a source of guidance for all Muslims. Loving him is an essential part of faith. Narrated Anas bin Malik (RA) , the Prophet (s.a.w) said "None of you will have faith till he loves me more than his father, his children and all mankind." (Agreed Upon ) The best way to express love for the Prophet (s.a.w) is to send peace and blessings upon him. Regarding this, Allah says in the Holy Quran: "Indeed, Allah confers blessing upon the Prophet, and His angels [ask Him to do so]. O you who have believed, ask [Allah to confer] blessing upon him and ask [Allah to grant him] peace." (Chapter 33, Surah Al-Ahzab, Ayah 56) 'Durood' is a Persian word which has been adapted into Urdu. The equivalent for 'Durood' in Arabic is 'Salaah', which means blessings, mercy and supplications. When attributed to Allah , the meaning of 'Salaah' is that He sends His Grace and Blessings on the Prophet (s.a.w). With regards to the angels and people, it means that they make supplication to Allah to confer His blessings upon the Prophet (s.a.w).

Reciting صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم ('sallallahu alyihi wa sallam') whenever the name of the Prophet (s.a.w) is heard, written or read is an act of great virtue and excellence. Virtues of Invoking Blessings and Peace Upon the Prophet (s.a.w)

Elevation of Status Anas bin Malik(RA) relates that the Prophet (s.a.w) said, "He who sends blessings on me once Allah sends blessings on him ten times and removes from him ten sins and raises him by ten degrees." (Sunan Nasai)

Worthy of Intercession Abu al-Darda' (RA) relates that the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) said, "Whoever sends blessings on me ten times in the morning and ten times in the evening will have my intercession on the Day of Judgment." (Sahih al-Jami' as-Sagheer)

Relief from Misery and Sorrow Ubayy bin Ka'b (RA) relates: I said, "O Messenger of Allah (s.a.w), I send much blessings on you. What proportion of my prayer should I devote to (sending blessings on) you?" He said, "As much as you like." I said, "A quarter?" He said, "As much as you like, and if you increased it would only be better for you." I said, "Then a half?" He said, "As much as you like and if you increased then it would only be better for you." I said, "Then two thirds?" He said, "As much as you like and if you increased it would only be better for you." I said, "I'll devote all of my prayers to sending blessings on you." The Prophet (s.a.w) said, "In that case it will suffice you from your worries and your sins will be forgiven." (Jami' Tirmidhi)

Source of Blessings 'Abdurrahman bin 'Auf (RA) relates that the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) went out once and he followed him until he entered a grove of palm trees and prostrated. His prostration was so long that 'Abdurrahman feared that Allah had taken his soul. 'Abdurrahman came to look at him and he raised his head and said: "What is wrong, Abdurrahman?" Abdurrahman mentioned what had happened, and the Prophet (s.a.w) said: "Gabriel (AS) came to me and said: 'Shall I not give you glad tidings? Allah says to you, "Whoever sends blessings upon you, I confer blessings upon him. Whoever sends salutations to you, I send peace on him."' Therefore, I prostrated to Allah in thanks". (Musnad Ahmed and Al-Hakim)

Acceptance of Supplications Abdullah bin Mas'ud (RA) narrates: I was once praying, and the Prophet (s.a.w), Abu Bakr(RA) and Umar (RA) (were all present). When I sat down (in the final tashahhud), I praised Allah, then sent salaams on the Prophet (s.a.w), then started praying for myself. At this, the Prophet (s.a.w) said: 'Ask (in this manner) and you shall be given! Ask, and you shall be given it!' (Jami' Tirmidhi)

Increase in Reward Abu Huraira (RA) relates that the Prophet (s.a.w) said, "Whoever sends blessings on me once, Allah writes ten good deeds in his book of deeds." (Fadal as-Salaah ala an-Nabi)