In Teen-fiction

'ring ring my alarm/analog clock beeped'

Does this sound familar? If so does this clock end up thrown at the wall? Now without looking at the title take a wild guess of which genre I'm speaking of.

That's right teen fiction.

Let's... address a few issues like how nobody has enough money to be buying her all these clocks, and how most people don't even use clocks anymore. It's an out-dated cliche mostly taken from published books from before 2004.

But enough about clocks how about we address a common character.

The bad boy.

The one guy who always messes with the Main Character just because he can. He always falls in love with her, he always gets rejected, and he always gets the nerd.

Haven't you ever wondered why can't she fall in love with a nerd that nobody likes? Or maybe just never fall in love at all?

Unpopular opinion: Teen fiction is not centered around romance. Teen Fiction is a genre for teens (13-18) about situations and feelings they might want to experience in real life, and yet this seems to be what usually happens:

The Main Character is new and ends up meeting the bad boy of the school. Whether he tries to flirt or attempts to intimidate her, she stands up for herself and it result in the bad boy being interested in her.

It annoys me greatly, since highschool isn't like this at all in the first place. I'm gonna share with you something I've figured out awhile ago about social norms.

Popularity is how well you fit standards, your influence, and how many people you have to back you up.

Therefore people that compete with others (sports for ex.) are usually popular because they have something in common.

Talkative people are popular because they can grab your attention and keep it. They know how to influence emotions so making friends aren't that big of a deal.

If you weren't popular you usually had a group of friends so you're somewhere in the middle. You group with introverts to get them out of their shell and you do just fine on you own.

If you were at the bottom you talk to random people and joined conversations. Your also more prone to bullying. your standoffish approach with social activity, throws some people off a little and rubs others the wrong way causing them to get aggravated with you quickly.

So...what do you think?