Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Copyright © Gem Higa

Therian removed her hand from where she clutched at her chest, while his own hands took their place. Warmth flowed through them and into her, slowly easing the pressure that was crushing her. The fogginess that threatened to cover her slowly pushed away, making the world less hazy. She looked up at the mage's face whose features no longer held a feral look. All traces of it were gone. His usual demeanor replaced it.

As she tried standing, a wave of nausea hit her. The only thing keeping her stable was Therian's hands on her shoulders, supporting her. He guided her back to his chair, as Mygani walked over to lay her head on her lap. Leiv stroked the panther's head, scratching behind its ears like she was nothing more than a house cat. She glanced at the mage who was now sitting across the table from her with his eyes closed, taking slow breaths.

"Are you okay, Lord Therian?" She asked

"It's okay, it will pass." He waved her off. "At my age, magic takes its toll sooner than those younger than I."

They sat there for a few minutes. No one speaking. She didn't want to interrupt the mage, but she needed answers. Now.

"I know how this may sound odd, but do you think there is any possibility I may be a spirit mage?" She asked, incredulous at her own question.

"It is—" he paused, "possible."

Could she trust him? What was that look she noticed before feinting? Was I just seeing things?

Sensing her worry, he reassured her. "Leiv, you can tell me anything. I have always been truthful with you and held nothing back. You have to trust me."

She saw no other choice.

She needed someone's help. If her father refused to help, Therian would be her next option. She explained her dream, carefully leaving out the dragon cloth she found. There was some things she knew she had to keep to herself. There was a reason her father had hidden the cloth all these years.

"What you've told me about your Ka and bonding with Mygani all make sense in relation to my dream. Everything adds up. It explains what I saw and what I'm feeling." She shifted in her seat, moving the Panther's head so she could stand. "Though, one thing is bothering me."

"What is that?" He asked.

"What happens if you don't bond with your animal in time?" She wasn't sure hearing the answer would make her feel better.

"We never develop our spirit magic. Once we reach a certain age, if we don't bond, we won't have another chance. Both of our spirits wither away and we die. The chord that links us together when we're born breaks, and we lose that connection forever. When spirit users are born, half their soul is connected to their spirit animal. They need that connection."

He stared at her with wide eyes, finally realizing why she was asking.

"You need to find your dragon." Rising panic filled Therian's voice as he spoke. "If we're right, there isn't much time left. If these pains started today, on your birthday, it must mean your soul is desperately seeking your other half. These painful attacks will only grow worse as you stay separated."

"I just," she paused, "I just don't understand what is going on, and why any of this is happening to me. If there is a dragon waiting for me, surely someone had to have spotted it by now."

Her father was a good tracker. He would have found something all these years. But if he hid the cloth all this time, who knew what else he was hiding.