Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Copyright © Gem Higa 2011

The night had gotten chillier as she passed through the trees undetected. Many of the barbarians were chatting with one another, which provided her with perfect cover, along with the blanket that the darkness provided. No one had seemed to notice her brief escape into the twilight, each engrossed in their own individual chores.

Each caravan had been placed right next to each other, making her job a bit easier. She made her way behind them, quietly trying to move unnoticed. The barbarians had covered the cages once more with the same ragged cloth, which made it a bit strenuous to locate which of them were her companions. About 7 of them were parked side by side, meaning 4 of them were her friends and the others were merely supplies.

It took a bit of time locating the right ones, but on the third caravan she found Kenji slumped on the bars, his head lolling to the side. His breathing was even, but he was fully asleep. Gently, she shook his shoulders and told him to get up. There was no response, and after a few minutes she quickly moved to the next caravan, which held her father. She shook his whole body, and finally he lurched from his prone position and looked around frantic, as his eyes finally stopped on her.

“It’s okay,” she whispered. “You’ll feel a little dizzy, but everything will clear up soon.” Leiv fumbled with the key. It slipped from her grasp and landed on the dirt floor. Immediately dropping down on all fours, she searched for the small piece of metal hidden on the dirt. Footsteps trudged in front of her father’s caravan, stopping right beside it. She quickly flattened herself to the floor and was able to see the their boots from the other side.

“Finally, you’re awake,” the barbarian said gruffly to Eli. “Our leader has been waiting.”

Her father spoke. “What do you want with us?” It was obvious he was attempting to stay calm, but the words were gritted and she could only imagine his eyes hate-filled eyes.

“You will know your fate soon.” He turned on his heel and walked to a tent, entering it as he disappeared from sight.

She looked around once more and finally found the brass next to the wheel. Getting to her feet, Leiv inserted the key into the hole and turned it. The door opened, but it quickly closed on her. With a confused look, she stared up into her father’s anxious face.

“Their leader will be returning any second, which means you can’t release me quite yet.” He looked back and forth from her to the camp. “Now go hide!”

Finally looking at her father’s pleading face, she stumbled towards the forest and hid behind the tree closest to the caravans. With the fire blazing from behind them she could only see the tall shadow that was Desmond and whoever the patroller had been.

Desmond’s voice' was raspy and drunk from sleep. “So, you are the one they call Death.”

“Why not call me by my real title?”

He chuckled. “Oh, you mean the king’s blade?”