"You've really thought your insane conspiracy theories out, haven't you?"

In a small, barely furnished bedroom with just a twin bed in the corner and a small pile of unpacked boxes in the centre of the floor, Parker stood over a shelf, meticulously arranging a series of small toy figures. They were all cartoon animal creatures of a sort that he had carefully placed.

"There we go," he said in a voice brimming with satisfaction as he pulled one last toy from the box at his feet and spent several minutes deliberating on its exact position. "Glad to see you're all fine after the crazy lady kicked you over," he mused as he finally situated the purple, squirrel-like thing in his hand, safely between a big red rock creature and an icy skeleton

"Parker," called an all too serious and impatient voice from another room.

It was Maximilian, his best friend, roommate and as of today, business partner. Recognizing the tone in his friend's voice, Parker left the bedroom and stepped into what had become a highly professional looking office-space since last night. Already, Max sat behind his desk, tapping away at his computer. His dark, chin length hair was neatly tucked behind his ears and his attire was as clean-cut and straightforward as always.

"Are you quite finished playing with your toys in there?" he asked, his eyes never leaving the screen.

"Ah, so I see you decided to go through with that surgical funectamy you mentioned. Not the choice I would've made, but I respect your decision."

"How very mature, brother. You are aware that this is our job now and we have to take it seriously? At least a little bit?"

The bigger man groaned aloud as he leaned back against the wall and stuffed his hands into his pockets. "I know, I know. But it's just so borrrring! I'm bored Max, I need constant stimulation. You knew this when your mom took me in, there's no going back now."

"You were 11, Parker. Believe it or not, I presumed you would grow out of it in the proceeding eight years," said Max in a dry voice.

"And that was your first mistake."

"No, my first mistake was sharing my toys with you in 1st grade. You broke one of them, you monster." Even when joking with his best friend, Max remained defiantly deadpan.

"So, did you need me for something?" asked Parker with a raised brow.

"Just wanted you to look over the contact list I put together. We need to start getting word out there and take on a few jobs before the end of the month. The rent on this place is dirt-cheap but smiles and kind words won't be enough."

Just as Max was turning the screen toward Parker, there was a sudden, dying hum as all lights in the room went out and the computer flashed brightly and powered off. Max stared curiously before sighing and leaning back in his chair. "Hmm... It appears that fate is as adverse to you working as you are."

"Bundle that with these cheekbones and I am truly blessed," he said as he stroked a thumb across his cheek.

Max steepled his fingers and lifted his gaze to the ceiling. "Must've been a surge. I wonder if it's just us, or the whole building."

"What about the back-up generators?"

"In a dump like this? I don't think so."

"I'll go and have a look. See who I need to talk to about this."

When Parker stepped into the hall, he found he wasn't alone and noticed that the lights in the corridors had went out too. It seemed odd to him, that all his neighbours were heading straight for the apartment directly across from his. By the time he'd stepped into the hall, there was a dozen grumpy looking individuals pounding that woman's door.