"I prefer Doctor Nexus, thank you."

"Nexus!" Max said as he pounded on the door to her apartment. "Send Parker out here."

At his call, Nexus appeared in the doorway with a yawn. It was already the middle of the day, but she dressed in her pajamas and slippers, her red mane a frazzled mess. Even still, she felt the need to don her lab-coat. She sipped on her foamy brew and stared back at Max with a languid glare. "He's busy," she said tersely.

"Do you ever bother to get dressed?" he asked. Max's own professional appearance was as proper as can be at all times. He was only a few steps away from just wearing a formal suit around the house.

"Science cares not for fashion. But you go ahead and doll yourself up every day, I'm sure all those clients you don't have really appreciate it."

"That's exactly why I'm here, as it happens. Over the last couple days, if Parker's not in there or out with some woman or another, he's playing games and watching cartoons. Note that none of these involve working. That's about to change. I just secured us a contract and I need him out here, now."

"Can't," she replied with a shake of her head. "I need him here to carry heavy things and reach high shelves. I'm sure you understand."

Parker appeared behind Nexus, his arms loaded with a large bin of with mechanical junk and his face slick with sweat. "Hey Max!" he said excitedly. "We're almost done the repairs. Come to have a look?"

Nexus took this opportunity to step out of the conversation and retreated inside, giving Max a sideways glare as she did.

"No Parker, I have no interest in your little experiments with your newest girlfriend."

Parker laughed slightly "Nex and I are just friends. She has been exceedingly clear about that."

"We're not friends either!" she cried from the other room.

Max rolled his eyes and continued. "We have actual work to do. Work that pays."

"C'mon Max, can't you just try and be a little excited? If this works, Nex says it's going to be a huge scientific breakthrough."

Max bowed his head in frustration and ran a hand through his hair. "Look Parker, I received a call about a job. Whatever you do over here with the neighbour girl, I don't care."

Nexus's chair wheeled into view for a moment and she gave him a cross look. "Neighbour girl?" she said with derision. "I prefer Doctor Nexus, thank you," she added as she wheeled back out of view.

"You can pretend that you have an advanced degree all you want, that doesn't mean I acknowledge it!" Max barked. He shook his head and sighed deeply before returning his attention to Parker. "I need you on this, brother."

"Yeah, sure. We're almost done in here. I'll be over soon."

"Soon?" he said with a raised brow. "Now would be preferable."

"Don't worry Max, I'll get it done."

"Be ready to head out in an hour, Parker."

"I will," he said defensively. "I'm a reliable guy. You know that. Remember all those times I was reliable?"

"I'm serious Parker," Max added as he took a step back, moving toward his apartment.

"I got it, I got it. I'll see you in an hour."

The inside of Nexus's apartment was an absolute mess. Spare mechanical parts, empty coffee mugs, food containers and Nex's laundry littered the area. With Parker's help, she'd overhauled her gate, as the previous failure had necessitated the replacement of several components. And with further research of the old UEF notes, she'd made numerous upgrades to the device. Having Parker around to handle the heavy lifting was a great help, as loath as she was to admit it.