Prologue

*NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR: This is only an excerpt. This is the first seven chapters of the book. 

Click.

Click.

Click.

Click.

The sound of high heels clattering away on the cold cobbled ground echoed in my ears. I'm not wearing heels, why do I hear them? The clicking continued as I walked down a chilled darken alley. Being a vampire took the fear out of the dark, I was glad I was one now. Where am I? It's strange when you don't know where you are, and you feel like you're searching for something. But what? I walked on.

That was when I saw them. She was taller than me, blonde and thin, and he was tall and tanned. Mike? No, he just makes the world feel like Mike. The inner light clicked on. Werewolf! It wasn't a question at this point. I couldn't see their faces, but I knew she wasn't a wolf, I sent my mental probing out to her- she was a vampire.My thoughts swirled. Why is she with him?

When I heard her voice, I understood. It was Issy and her boyfriend. My childhood best friend and her werewolf love. But why am I here?

"Issy, what's going on?" I said out into the frosty night air.

They didn't respond. It was like I wasn't there. They walked ahead of me and turned down another dark alley. I realized we must be near a secret club or something, people just didn't walk down alleys for the heck of it.

Her scream pierced the night. I wanted to move faster, but it seemed like my feet were stuck in place. What was wrong? What happened? I really wished my internal dialogue would shut up when things got freaky. I finally made it to the corner.

The fine hairs that cover my pale body stood at attention right away. Issy was covered in blood- not just any blood, but his blood. Oh crap. I didn't know how I could help. I merely watched as she shrieked over the body of her dead love, covering herself in more and more of his blood. That was not a good idea because werewolf blood makes us ill, but she didn't seem to care.

I heard the footsteps and wanted to shout to her to run, to get away from him. But I couldn't, I had no voice in this realm or whatever it was. When they came, there were many of them. Their voices grew from concern to anger once they found her. I could see the violence behind their eyes.

"Run Isabella! Run for you damned life! GET UP, LET HIM GO!" I was shouting to deaf ears.

I watched her stand with her hands turned out, her face held defeat, and her eyes looked empty.

"Don't just give up! You didn't do it!" I knew it in my soul that this was not her doing.

Then the crowd rushed her...

I woke with a start as usual. Why did I've to have a new dream to destroy my sleep? Dominic was in the room as usual. Apparently, he heard my scream- yet again. I was crying for my friend, but I didn't know what to do. He reached out and held my hand as he wiped away the hot stinging tears.