Chapter Seven

The problem with ancient rituals that no one really practiced anymore was that no one knew the side effects of such things. Mike and I had no idea about what would happen to us after the ritual. No one warned us about anything.

We both changed back into our street clothes. We had decided earlier that we would spend the night together at his place in the city. The ride home was not a joyous occasion. Silence fell on us like a thick fog.

I really hope we did the right thing. Mike's thought broke through my empty mind, I looked over at him.

Mike? I continued to stare out the window in hopes that I was just making things up in my mind.

Em? I turned to see his confused expression.

I didn't start this one. I think it's a result of the ritual. My mind hummed with questions.

“Well, crap. I wonder what else will happen to us. When are you leaving for Italy?” I listened to his words and tried to ignore his internal dialogue that was also escaping.

“Um, in a couple of days. It's all I can spare. I'm supposed to start teaching and screening the school as soon as I get back. I think that you'll need lessons in shielding now, Mike.” I tried not to sound like a parent to him about this.

“You're probably right. We don't have a need to shield our thoughts, but I don't think that it'll work between us. Remember, nothing is a secret anymore. Things are about to change seriously. I guess whatever I know about you then the other wolves will learn too, unless I learn how to protect my thoughts. Same with you too, huh?” He was trying to figure out everything.

“Actually, I've not met a vampire who can break through one of my shields. I'm unique in the vampire world, not just with my ability to transform into a wolf. But you'll learn it all soon enough I'm sure.” I knew his secrets would be safe with me, but I wasn't sure if mine would be with him.

“So, any idea as to where I might learn how to do that?” Mike was giving me the chance to say no to him.

“Well, if you can be taught like a vampire I could try... I could also see inside you, to see if you have any other form of magic at your use. If you'd like that?” I shrugged to make it seem like nothing.

“Can you really see what people are made of, I mean potentially? Isn't that kinda weird? Is it like the touching thing?” Mike hadn't realized exactly what my touching thing was, but he knew it was one of my special things.

“Yes, I really can. I'll show you later... maybe because of our bond you'll be able to experience what I do. It isn't weird to me, it's just part of me. It's sorta like that touching thing.” I smiled at him.

“Kay, sounds cool, I guess.” His uncertainty was present in his thoughts, but I could feel it rolling off him like waves of chilly water.

The drive back turned into complete silence after that.

His apartment was tinted with early morning gray as we walked in. The world seemed so very different from before, now that Mike and I had bonded. I felt a bubble of panic rising in my body. I tried to stop it but it was circulating through my system quickly.

“Emma, what's wrong?” Mike's voice was concerned.

“Nothing. My mind is merely trying to adjust. It's good to know that you feel my emotions as well. What else will be affected by all of this?” I threw out my arms, trying to encompass everything that was happening to us.

“Don't fret so much. We'll figure it out together. And then, well, we'll see once we get to that point.” His smile was relaxed but his emotions weren't- they were as confused and worried as mine.