Two

Ezra:

You should get off your phone. You're going to get a call soon. the text read and just as I was going to reply it began to ring in my hand and I answered it quickly.

"Good afternoon. I'm looking for a Ms. Ezra Powell," the man said at the other end of the line.

"This is she," I answered nervously. My heart pounding in my chest.

"This is Kaine Summers. I'm with Penguin Random House. I have a copy of your manuscript here and we are very interested in investing in you," I didn't know what to say.

"Okay?" I squeaked out. He chuckled.

"We'd like to arrange a meeting with you and your manager,"

"I don't have a manager," I shuddered.

"Pardon, but it says here you do. A, Ms. Audrey Cunningham. She was the one to recommend you. Her and Ms. Rip Hemingway. Ms. Cunningham is very persistent. We were honored to know that you were working with them,"

"Right yeah," I blurted out.

"Very well I will set up an appointment with her. Have a nice day Ms. Powell we look forward to meeting you," the line went dead and I just sat there with my phone to my ear.

"What just happened?" I asked my cat, Jodie. She jumping on the bed purring to get my attention. My phone scared the hell out of me.

"Hello?" I asked still dazed.

"So, how did it go?" she asked excitedly.

"Who is Audrey Cunningham?"

"She's the crazy ambitious girl. She kind of made me who I am," she beamed. Her tone is happy now. "I told her about you and she wants to help. She gets a little crazy when it comes to working, but believe me when I say she will take you places, Ezra. She won't charge you until she knows you've made it,"

"Why?" I asked.

"She has this code of honor thi..."

"No. no why are you helping me?" I asked.

"You know what people do when they see me?" she asked. I have a feeling that it's something not worth repeating. People can be cruel. "They laugh. Everybody laughs at the stupid artist that was left at the altar or they're afraid. You see me. No one ever just sees me."

"Look at the bright side," I smiled.

"There's a bright side?" she asked.

"Duh, two actually. Your pain is a new window to unlimited creativity for a canvas and him being someone else's problem means he doesn't have to waste any more of your time," she let out a little sigh.

"Like I said, Ezra. I'm keeping you around. Want to come over or I can go over to your place I can Uber,"

"Umm yeah come over. I'll make dinner?"

"You cook? Yeah, I needed you in my life Ezra," she laughed. The way she says my name makes me feel special.

"I'll send you my address. Let me know when you're here so I can buzz you up,"

"Sweet. Do you need me to pick anything up? There is a market place right outside my apartment building,"

"Not unless you don't like chicken stuffed Ravioli with an alfredo sauce and salad,"

"I'm getting wine then," she laughed excitedly.

I text her my address and began to make dinner. I am excited about this. Rip is the first friend I make in a very long time. Lina is on her way home and I need to tell her. What better way than to tell her than with the woman that made it happen?