Bryn Thorn

^^ Hafnein ^^

I observed the ice, pressing a hand to the water gently. It cracked, and I grinned. "Perfect. Almost perfect to sail normally, but with the Thorburn... yes. Hansen?" I asked.

He grinned back scarily. "Time to hunt some christians, I say. I have a trade voyage planned after this, so I'll sell the slaves along the way, and bring back the best and the money's for the Jarl." He tightened a rope with a stubborn finality, and I smiled.

"Then off a-Viking we go, on the morrow. Tell your men." I stood, and jogged down the dock towards Andy's hall. I busted through the doors, and laughed. "Everyone! The ice is thawing! We leave tomorrow!" I proclaimed ecstatically.

They cheered as one, and I noticed Magna clutch her side, before assuring us she was fine, even though we saw the sweat upon her brow. Nadia took her into their bed to rest, and I sat with the men, smiling.

Andy sat in my lap, and smirked. "So. Last night on solid land, is that it?"

I gripped her hips. "That it is..."

"Then I'll be sleeping in my own skin, I think..." she smiled, and slowly strode up into the loft, before stripping and lazily dropping her pants on the thin stairs. I just laughed and left them there, striding up to the loft, then stripping quickly.

---

"Cast off, Hansen! Warm the Thorburn!" I shouted over the sound of cracking ice, and turned the tiller gently to compensate for the offset of the ice on the hull.

Hansen had helped me add thin strips of metal to the sides of the ship to prevent the wood from grinding against the ice as we cut through it, so at least that wasn't a problem.

We cast off, and I rechecked the lines for the sails, mentally running a checklist of all the things that were necessary.

Once that was done, I gave the command, and we unfurled the mains, letting the northwesterly wind pull us out of the cove expeditiously.

Andy suddenly seemed oddly still, staring at the mast with a blank look in her eyes, and I touched her shoulder. She jumped slightly, and looked at me, not relaxing for once. "What's wrong?" I asked.

She shook her head slowly. "Nothing."

I looked at her critically, and sighed. "You're afraid of the ocean." I said simply.

She blinked, incredulous. "The ocean? What? No. I was thinking about marriage." She seemed sincerely amused by my assumption.

"Marriage?" I asked, confused.

"Yes... I've never considered it... I mean, Nadia and Magna aren't married, but they've been together for almost 15 years now... It feels odd, you know? To change my life so suddenly." She hummed.

"You've had three months to adjust." I grinned.

She laughed. "True. Very true. And having a child that the gods plant inside me? Odd. The idea is... very odd." She shivered.

I smiled and kissed her nose. "Such it is. As it has always been, when the Gods decide to tamper with our lives."

"True." She nodded. Then she smiled. "I hope he looks like you. My mother and I are beautiful, but we are children of Tyr. We will always have fangs and claws and a hatred for enclosure... we are born hunters. Thor? Your kin are born craftsman, rulers. If our son is to rule, I'd like him to be a son of Thor."

I hummed. "I suppose that makes sense... but the Gods never said we'd only have one. Maybe they will bless your womb many times. Who knows?" I grinned.